Gears

MrGame

Nov 8, 2006
My friend's dad told me that 3.73s and 4.10s make you more prone to snap axles/blow diffs..is that true? (i'm not the BEST stick driver yet, but i'm not too bad)

• Sponsors (?)

ONLY if you have the HP to snap it. I've had 4.10's with at least 50 passes and no problems at all except for a broken shift fork in the tranny. The threshold is around 400HP to the wheels before you would even need to think about it.

ONLY if you have the HP to snap it. I've had 4.10's with at least 50 passes and no problems at all except for a broken shift fork in the tranny. The threshold is around 400HP to the wheels before you would even need to think about it.

:stupid: .

I have had no problems with my 4.10s.

dude 4.10s def and no you wont unless you have the hp to, so enjoy, but do your research on installers and make sure there reputable cause had mine installed and they wine but if they were done rite i wouldnt have no probs but me my guy are haven it out

oh and btw frpp 4.10s is what i went with and there awesome and my rear end wines because they short cut the install (they used o the old crush collar and pinion nut so i get tear appart and install new ones cause my guy isnsists that he used new ones but i know otherwise) but def go with frpp if you can afford them and any else agrees let me know. i got a thread on this under 4.6 tech, rear end howl

OK, now for an opposing point of view. these guys are absolutely right, 3.73 or 4.10's are not any more prone to beakage than the stock 3.27s , however, if this is a stick car ford put a pretty stiff first gear in that tranny, so much so that most stock GT's would run (about) 13.7-14.10 depending on altitude, tune, etc, etc. When you put in a 3.73 or 4.10 then first gear lasts about 3 feet. that's great for the drags, but maybe not so cool for the street, especially if you drive in traffic. IMO I'd run no taller than 3.55's. And BTW I had a street car with 5.13's at one point, so I've been down this road many times. Try to find someone who has this mod and drive their car first. One more thing, nothing, absolutely nothing will improve performance better than a set of gears (as long as you can hook up) so if acceleration is your bag, then go for it.

My only complaints about 4.10s are the short first gear and high freeway rpms

What I love about the 4.10s are the acceleration in first gear and the fact that 5th gear pulls like a sumbitch!

Funny how the pros are cons and the cons are pros.:rlaugh:

4.10s FTMFW:nice:

If you are just going to keep your car N/A without a power adder, you could go 4.10's. I have 3.73's right now in my car and I have traction issues as it is. 1-3 can be handful especially on the spray.:)

I guess lots of people do not realize that you can go 3.90's as a nice compromise between 3.73's and 4.10's. If I had a non power adder car I would put in a set of 3.90's. I think that would be perfect on a N/A street car.

Actually the manuals (TR-3650) usually get better MPG than the autos (4R70W). The 3650 has a .62:1 5th gear and the 4R70W has a .7:1 OD. The auto is also less efficient and creates more drivetrain power loss.

I would agree that 3.73's or 3.90's would be a good choice on the street. 4.10's are a bit much on the street unless your car is relatively stock.

your car is going to need sticky tires to actually grab first.

if youre running slicks or a wide set of DR's, and you have some good mods and are trying to launch it like a evo, then yeah, youre prolly gonna break something. with crappy tires and lots of power, that power would get lost in plumes of tire smoke. but with tires that grip, you are now putting all that stress on the axles and driveshaft.

on the street with street tires, youre gonna burn the rubber before you snap an axle.

last but not least, DONT FEAR TEH GEAR!