General/average cost to rebuild a T5?

5point0dude

Sep 5, 2007
Hey guys. Lately I have been throwing around the idea of rebuilding my '91's T5 in the near future and I'm looking to see who here has done it and what the general/average cost of having a shop do it. I am not very mechanically inclined so I will definitely have a shop doing the work. I know there are many factors that determine the price, but I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you remove and install the transmission yourself and just have the shop do the rebuild it could be around $300-$400ish. If the shop does the whole job, then it can jump up to $600-$800ish. Just depends on who does it.
If you do it all yourself, Summit sells a T-5 rebuild kit for around $250. And it's not too terribly hard to do as long as you have all the correct tools.

Depends on what is wrong with it.

If nothing is wrong and you just want to freshen it up...a kit is 100-200.

Unfortunatly if you have a shope do it...you are looking at 400-1200 easy

My coupe has a t5 with the D&D Super alloy gears, input shaft, upgraded bearing retainer with the 3.35 upgrade,new king cobra clutch and fidanza billet flywheel, the reciept was $1500.00 The previous owner had this done right before I bought the car.

A guy in my area does rebuilds ONLY on T5's and he charges about $350 for a basic rebuild. If anything major needs replacing, he pretty much just charges at-cost for the parts. I've heard a few folks recommend him, so I'm thinking I might be pulling the T5 outta my notch someday and letting him deal with it when I can afford it. I could probably rebuild it myself with a bit of research, but for what I'd have to spend for the extra tools and the chance that I'd bugger it up and have to go through the hassle of pulling the thing right back out again ... meh. It's worth it to spend a few extra bucks and only have to do it once. :nice:

400-800 seems about the right range from what I have seen, I just ordered a rebuilt T5 off of a seller on ebay who appears to exclusively rebuild T5's (has done 300+ rebuilds) and with 2 cores that I am sending him it's going to cost me roughly $550.

When I rebuilt the T-5 in my old '95 I did all the work myself. I bought a Hanlon rebuild kit for I think $170 (5 yrs ago), a set of needle punches, a pair of snap-ring pliers, and an instructional video on how to rebuild the trans. It took about 6 hrs, REALLY taking my time and following the video.

Also note, you will need a hydraulic press to push all the gears on and off the shafts, just a heads up.

It was actually a lot of fun to see how everything worked. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and learning a little, it's definitely worth the time.

Good luck! :nice:

For what you will pay for a couple of T5 rebuilds, you can buy a Tremec TKO 500 that you won't break unless you shift without using the clutch or run it with no lubricant in it.

A used Tremec 3550 in good shape will work just as good as a TKO 500 behind a stock or N/A engine. It wouldn't cost anymore than having a shop rebuild your T5.

I have a Tremec 3550 and it has been much better that the T5's that came in either of the 5.0 Mustangs I have owned. It shifts like a hot knife through butter and I am not afraid of breaking it.

For what you will pay for a couple of T5 rebuilds, you can buy a Tremec TKO 500 that you won't break unless you shift without using the clutch or run it with no lubricant in it.

A used Tremec 3550 in good shape will work just as good as a TKO 500 behind a stock or N/A engine. It wouldn't cost anymore than having a shop rebuild your T5.

I have a Tremec 3550 and it has been much better that the T5's that came in either of the 5.0 Mustangs I have owned. It shifts like a hot knife through butter and I am not afraid of breaking it.

While I don't disagree that a TKO or 3550 is a much better trans, I have yet to see even a 3550 used for under $1k...and even then you are taking a gamble with something being broken or on it's way out that you have no way of knowing about until after you've swapped it in. I just got a completely rebuilt T5 for $550, sure it's not nearly as strong as the other 2 but I think they shift pretty smooth.