Getting hot at Idle, Fan shroud question.

Steve69

May 11, 2005
My mustang seem to be getting quite hot at idle. Im running a 3 row
20" radiator with no fan shroud. When I driving at hwy speeds and in town
Im at 190 degrees. Idling im at 220 degrees. A couple of questions. I
was thinking of purchasing a Chrome universal fan shroud that 5" wide.
Is this to wide or should I go with a 3"? 2nd Question. How close should
the fan be to the radiator? Seems like there is 5 to 6" from the fan to the
radiator. All the pics I see seems like there only a couple of inches. If I
need a longer spacer where to I get one at?

Thanks
Again

• Sponsors (?)

6" away is too far, esp without a shroud. Look into a spacer that puts it ~3" away, and a shroud is always a good idea. Space the fan where the bladepath is 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud opening.

Thanks for the info Lman. So the fan should be 3" from the radiator
and Im not clear on the 1/2". Should the fan be centered in the shroud
and 3 inchs from radiator?

heh, I meant 'half inside and half outside' the shround, not half-inch :D . My fault, I posted unclearly. Pak has it right.

The 3" is an approximation. It will ultimately depend on the depth of your shroud....whatever position places your fan half-inside, half-outside the shroud will be fine..the shroud will direct the air properly.

Steve69 said:
Seems like there is 5 to 6" from the fan to the
radiator. All the pics I see seems like there only a couple of inches. If I
need a longer spacer where to I get one at?

If your shroud can reach the fan, then even 6" from the radiator will not be that bad. You just want to keep the air flowing through the radiator, not around it like is happening now. Ideally the fan is around 1-3" from the radiator and the blades stick out of the shroud from 1/2" to half of the blade width. Most parts stores have an assortment of fan spacers, but it's generally recommended that it be under 3" for safety.

LMan said:
heh, I meant 'half inside and half outside' the shround, not half-inch :D . My fault, I posted unclearly. Pak has it right.

The 3" is an approximation. It will ultimately depend on the depth of your shroud....whatever position places your fan half-inside, half-outside the shroud will be fine..the shroud will direct the air properly.

Yo Lman, you must of had ole Mr. Johnson on the mind instead of the fan, in that case 1/2 way in vs. 1/2" probably measures just about the same.:rlaugh: (j/k bud, couldn't resist.):D BTW, you don't need to say it, I can read Penn's lips just fine!

I just installed a factory shroud and a Flex-a-lite 6 blade fan in my '65 with a four core radiator and you can definately feel the cold air coming through at idle, and it seems to run cooler too (although I never really had overheating problems). My fan is approximately 2'' from the radiator and I did my best to position it half in half out of the shroud using the stock spacer.

Ever seen the fan shroud on a 70-72 Monte Carlo? They look like they're more than 2 feet deep. Looks like a plastic trash can on its side.

I have a 79 Mustang Turbo fan shroud hanging in my garage that fills a space of about 18" between the fan and radiator.

The big difference on my 69 Cougar running cool now on hot days is having the fan properly located in the shroud. I have a 24" radiator, stock shroud and a flex fan from a 78 Thunderbird.

Pakrat said:
Yo Lman, you must of had ole Mr. Johnson on the mind instead of the fan, in that case 1/2 way in vs. 1/2" probably measures just about the same.:rlaugh: (j/k bud, couldn't resist.):D BTW, you don't need to say it, I can read Penn's lips just fine!

hehehehe methinks I just got :owned:

:SNSign: