Going to look at a 99 Cobra. Advice needed!

andrewVA

Oct 13, 2004
Im probably going to go look at a 99 Cobra this weekend and I was curious whether there is anything specific to that model year I should know about.
Its a black on black, 1 owner coupe with 80k miles. Supposedly never raced, engine and tranny are stock, and it has a clean carfax. Owner said it has had the engine recall work done to bump its power up to the advertised 320.
The opportunity to buy came up unexpectedly, so Im trying to educate myself quickly so I can make a good decision.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The '99s are very nice cobras. :cheers:

You'll want to run the VIN# by SVT (1-800-ford-svt) just to doublecheck that the horsepower "fix" has been performed on this 1999. A "fixed" '99 runs just as healthy as an '01, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Other than that, check out the usuals:

-transmission/clutch (smooth shifting, no grinding going into/out of gears)
-engine (idles ok, pulls all the way to redline)
-driveline/gear slop (excessive "clunk" is frowned upon on IRS cobras)
-etc

Thanks for the idea of calling Ford Performance. They verified that it has had all the recall work done. I haven't committed yet, but it looks like a decent deal so far.

Hey guys im in the same boat anything else ? what about performance parts for the car ? where should I look it seems I cant find any vendors for the 99 Cobra :mad: Hopefully I'll have mine this weekend !

Aaaahhhh yes, the good ol' 99. Been there and done that one. See sig that I havent changed yet...Great Great car after all the fixes. It will go down in history as the "can-full-of-worms" year for the Cobra. As has been said, run a vin check and go to SVT or the dealer for a list of the problems. The big one was of course the HP fix, then the drive line "vibe" issue. The latter was the most frustrating of the group. A total bitch to get rid of. I never completly got rid of mine. Swapping out to an aluminum drive line ( now standard on Cobra) took most of it out..If you drive the car to 45-55-65 mph and feel anything coming up thru the seat that feels like body vibration, thats what I'm talking about. Struts were a headache too. Snap, crackle pop right from the first mile.. Get a full listing of the TSB's and go thru them carefully. The 99 had quite a list. If the previous owner did all the major and some minor fixes, then you got a good car. Take it to a dealer and get it plugged in for service history. They might charge you a few bucks to do it but its worth it. Well worth it. I loved my 99 (now have an 03) to death but gawdam it drove me nuts for the first year. A big part of the problem was Ford dragging their damn feet on fixes. :bang:

andrewVA said:
Im probably going to go look at a 99 Cobra this weekend and I was curious whether there is anything specific to that model year I should know about.
Its a black on black, 1 owner coupe with 80k miles. Supposedly never raced, engine and tranny are stock, and it has a clean carfax. Owner said it has had the engine recall work done to bump its power up to the advertised 320.
The opportunity to buy came up unexpectedly, so Im trying to educate myself quickly so I can make a good decision.
Thanks!

I have that exact same car and miles :)
You will probably have the vib, I never have gotten rid of it, 80mph and thats it so no biggy, trannys are not great but better then the 01's. the engine probably has a teksid block which was cast in italy and stronger then the 01 casting.
Its a fun car but def feels slow when you compare them to a modded terminator
If it feels solid and runs hard to the redline and shifts without grinding then I say go for it:nice:

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately that car was sold before I got there. The good news is that I am looking at another 99 on monday that is in pristine condition based on the pictures, and the owner wont sell it before I get there.
It doesn't have any mods except for Bassani X-pipe, Bassani Catback, and a JLT RAI. Its a Rio Red cop magnet though!

andrewVA said:
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately that car was sold before I got there. The good news is that I am looking at another 99 on monday that is in pristine condition based on the pictures, and the owner wont sell it before I get there.
It doesn't have any mods except for Bassani X-pipe, Bassani Catback, and a JLT RAI. Its a Rio Red cop magnet though!

wow now that sounds awsome, those are all great mods
as I have 2 of them :)