Roush Gonna sell the Saleen for 03-04 Cobra...

HazeGray

May 2, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, I've been thinking a lot about it lately and when I get back from sea around the 4th of July I'm going to sell my Saleen and pick up an 03-04 Cobra. I want to get a Mustang I'm not always worrying about. Right now, I only take my Saleen out in nice weather and just for cruising. I always worry if I take it to the store and leave it in the parking lot or in a parking garage. For as much money as I spend on it, I don't enjoy it nearly enough. It sits about 90% of the year in my garage under a cover. Three years later and it still has the new car smell!!!

I've been visiting Mark's site a lot and I've noticed he has been getting in a lot of 03-04 Cobras. He has a nice 2003 black coupe that I have my eye on. I want to pick one up and leave it looking nearly stock, appearance-wise.

• Sponsors(?)

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
You sound like the type of guy that would still worry if it was a honda civic.
As for i'm all for getting a 03/04 cobra and i totally agree with your decision, i don't think it's going to save you any worrying.
IMO, the cobra is the more valuable car anyway.

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Super Mod
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
This decision makes little to no sense to me. If you're that worried about your car, install an alarm on it. I doubt an ’03-’04 Cobra is going to be able to do anything much (if at all) better than your Saleen.....and it’s every bit as attractive to a would be car thief. No car is worth having, if you're not going to drive it. Quit treating it like a hemophiliac and drive and enjoy the damn thing already. That’s what it was meant for....if you wanted an investment, you bought the wrong car.

And if you do decide after all this you’re still going to sell it.....advertise it in the Classified Forum, not here. :)
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=544120

SyberSaint

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2000
San Antonio, Texas
Gearbanger 101 has a great point. Have fun with your car. Put a lojack, steering wheel lock or some other antitheft device... My Saleen has 70K miles on it and I enjoy it every day. They were ment to be driven and seen... I drive the Pi$$ out of mine... Not hard miles, but daily miles....Cobras are VERY fast cars, but you will NEVER get the looks in a Cobra that you get in a Saleen. They just look vey aggressive, exotic, and not common... I see Cobras every day, but Saleens??? Well it is just another animal all together... I SAY, "Keep the SALEEN"!!!!

spikestas

Oct 11, 2002
ROCHESTER, MN
Visit site
I have about the same modifications on my 01 Saleen. But not like you, I love to drive mine - not to beat it but drive it and have fun doing what it was ment to do. Before you Sell - I challenge you to take your Saleen to an open track event - put on some road racing slicks. You'll find out what I mean. Then find a stock Cobra - although Hp for Hp rating you may not be able to beat up on a Cobra in straight line speed but at the Road Courses your Saleen Rules.
Good Luck!
TA Sanders

RedVNM

Mar 30, 2007
If you like looks keep the saleen If you want raw power Get the Terminator I sold my saleen for a 03 cobra the only look I need is that floating Snake and fog lights on your rearview the thought in your head that your ass is about to be handed to ya.:hail2:

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Super Mod
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
If you like looks keep the saleen If you want raw power Get the Terminator I sold my saleen for a 03 cobra the only look I need is that floating Snake and fog lights on your rearview the thought in your head that your ass is about to be handed to ya.:hail2:
Take a look at his sig though....as it sits, he's putting more down to the rear wheels than a stock '03-'04 Cobra now. Couple that with the Saleens use of a solid axle and the Cobra's heavier curb weight I wouldn't be surprised if he's able to walk away from them now with realative ease.

marcus95

Jan 26, 2004
California
Just don't do it man. You will be sorry later. If I know you, you will buy the prettiest Cobra you can and still worry about her just as much as you do the Saleen.

If you want to get the Cobra guys to make you change your mind again, go post over there. hee heee.

Later. :)

RedVNM

Mar 30, 2007
Take a look at his sig though....as it sits, he's putting more down to the rear wheels than a stock '03-'04 Cobra now. Couple that with the Saleens use of a solid axle and the Cobra's heavier curb weight I wouldn't be surprised if he's able to walk away from them now with realative ease.
NOt so Mine made 400rwhp with just exhaust catted bassani X and a magnaflow catback check the vid out at alamoride.com click on lethal dyno day and ford vids mine is the redfire.

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
My buddies cobra layed down 369rwhp bone stock.
And with a bassani x pipe, catback and CAI 401rwhp.

There's an awful lot of cash in parts in that saleen, to make just 10 more hp than a stock cobra, and it's also damn near maxed on that SC.

How about taking the saleen and doing an eaton 4v conversion on it?

I like the saleen look better, but the cobra drivetrain better.
IMO, drivetrain takes the win.

Metalcop

Jun 6, 2004
New Hampshire
The general public can't even tell the difference between a Mustang and a Cobra. The Saleen, however, screams "LOOK AT ME!!!", not to mention the fact that it says Saleen in huge letters on the windshield. I'm not arguing for or against either car, but you could definitely blend in better with the Cobra, and park it at the supermarket, without worrying about it. The only people who would notice that its a Terminator would be guys like us, who would just check it out in appreciation (and awe!). Tough decision, wish it was mine to make! lol

HazeGray

May 2, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, I took the plunge and sent Mark at PAS my ad information. It should be listed on his website soon. Hopefully I have it listed for a quick sale.

Already looking at Cobras in my area and found a few possibilities.

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Super Mod
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
NOt so Mine made 400rwhp with just exhaust catted bassani X and a magnaflow catback check the vid out at alamoride.com click on lethal dyno day and ford vids mine is the redfire.
My buddies cobra layed down 369rwhp bone stock.
And with a bassani x pipe, catback and CAI 401rwhp.
I'll say it again for you guys that weren't paying attention to what I wrote the first time. ;)

He's putting more down to the rear wheels than a stock '03-'04 Cobra now. I made no mention of him comparing his car to a bolt on Cobra.

Yes, he could buy the Cobra and add exhaust and intake mods and up the power ante but in it's current state the car he's driving now is making a fair bit more power and/or torque than the Cobra, without having to spend any more time or money on the car. Not to mention the Solid axle rear is going to be more advantageous from a drag racing standpoint than the IRS equipped Cobra.....even with the Saleen’s stiffer suspension components.

Look.....if this were a choice between a N/A, or even bolt on GT and an '03-'04 Cobra, then I’d say go for it, but in this case, at this point for the amount of time and money he's spent on his car, he’s not going to come out any further ahead, unless he’s willing to start spending money on the Cobra for further modifications as well.

...and that Twin Screw under the hood of his Saleen has got plenty more in it yet (assuming it's the 2300AX) if he's willing to do a little intake/intercooler and tuning work.

SimiSaleen

Feb 15, 2007
Simi Valley
You sound like the type of guy that would still worry if it was a honda civic.
As for i'm all for getting a 03/04 cobra and i totally agree with your decision, i don't think it's going to save you any worrying.
IMO, the cobra is the more valuable car anyway.

I agree 100% that the Cobra is the more valuable car! I have a Saleen and lets face it all they really are is a GT with abody kit,decals and suspension enhancements. My son has a 03 Cobra anniversary edition and if you know what really goes into a Cobra its a move up!:nice:

Sep 24, 2004
Saleen S281, London, UK
its a tough call i guess.. i sometimes, in fact ALWAYS think I'm too over-cautious about my car. I've had it 3 years now and done around 3000 miles in it. It sits in the garage locked away until a show turns up and i get it out, take it to the show, make sure im within eyeshot of the car as much as possible then drive home and stick it back in the garage. I was thinking just the other day, if im this ridiculously protective of a car, why not sell the saleen and buy an 04 cobra vert or something, if im going to not drive a car I might as well not drive that....

But then I get in the car and drive to the meet or show and decide I couldnt part with the Saleen........ until I browse the 04 cobra vert pages of ebay again.... damnit.....

I guess it doesnt help that my car is very rare, in colour only really, but rare none the less. So if i were to sell it, it'd be worth more over there than it is here in the uk, so that'd mean shipping it, and if i cant leave it in the local krispy kreme car park for more than 20 minutes... you think I can leave it in the docks then on a boat for 4 months !!!!

Anyways, enough random mumblings from me..... I say do whatever you feel most comfortable with. If you honestly believe that you'd leave the cobra and not worry about it, go for that, having a car you're happy to leave anywhere is an awesome feeeling, I used to have an old beater of a dodge neon that i'd leave absolutely anywhere and not worry about it..... its a really gereat feeling i tell ya.... kinda balanced out the saleen in the garage.....

Im sure none of that helped but well...... forums are all about random musings i guess,,,,,

EDGE

Mstng2

Founding Member
Jun 27, 2002
- - Zion - -
I go with the "Drive It" Crowd. Perhaps I am vain but my fun in having the car is when I get a thumbs up or someone tells me my car is "sick". (lol) Or when a car pulls up on the freeway and I notice a camera phone snapping pics. I race the car at the Dragstrip, this fall I am taking it to MillerMotorSports Park, and I would really like to run the Silver State Classic Open Road race, or the CannonBall Run. I also have 70K on my car. and yes I have rock chips, a nick here and there, but aaaah those 70K miles represent 5 years of driving BLISS! :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ateup How many people here really think they are never gonna sell their Mustang and why? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 44
B Need some advice-gonna sell my stang 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
ShAkE N BaKe!! IM GONNA BUY AND SELL! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
Guero Gonna sell the Stang 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 39
fast94mustangGT gonna sell the stang 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
G Well think im gonna have to sell my car. /cry Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
Rootus I'm gonna sell the 95 GT Regional Forums and Event Information 13
A well looks like i'm gonna have to sell my car 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 14
V Engine I'm gonna fix this thing if it kills me! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 48
1hot87gt Is the rain ever gonna stop 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 48
CarMichael Angelo So,...You're gonna take your car to a shop to have it worked on...lets talk. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
1hot87gt Gonna be a long winter 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 29
Creomod Almost ready to crank it over!Just gonna set timing 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
Sketchy_GT Progress Thread Sketchy Gt 5.0, It’s Gonna Be A Long Process 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 55
90sickfox I'm Jus' Gonna Leave This Here... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 27
qwik gt New Here But Gonna Post My Project 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 12
billison Gonna Pressure Wash The Bay, Some Questions. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
Bryan_D New Here. First Mustang. Gonna Need Some Help. :) The Welcome Wagon 5
Boss 7.0 Old Guy Gonna Buy His First Mustag In A Few Months The Welcome Wagon 3
90lxwhite So I'm Gonna Peel And Seal 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
90lxwhite Gonna Change My Screen Name 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 10
90lxwhite I Hate The Guess My Hp Threads But I'm Gonna Make One.. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 6
CarMichael Angelo Gonna Build A Drag Car?...may As Well Crush Them Now. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 76
kramer gonna replace front struts , but not the back SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
6 Gonna Pull The Trigger On A Shortblock. My Thoughts Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
bird_dog0347 Long Read: Got Back Into Mustangs Tonight After A 13 Year Hiatus, Gonna Need Advice 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
5 Is This Gonna Work? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Mr. Rustypwnz How Do You Think She's Gonna Run? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
CarMichael Angelo You guys are gonna think I'm crazy...... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 173
MysteryMachine Looks like I'm gonna be able to pass on the Stang love 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 39
99FiveOh Think I'm gonna put an Eaton on my car 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 45
90lxwhite purchasing 17x9 for sn95 and need a tire. I knw im gonna hear do I a search, i did.. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 13
S Probably gonna need some direction The Welcome Wagon 0
slayerripkdc 2012 Shelby! What she gonna trap?? :) 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 13
KingofBattle119 306 H/C/I with spray, am I gonna kill my block? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 11
5 whats it gonna cost? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
T Screwed up gonna start over....Intake Manifold. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
snowman23 Gonna spend some cash on the inside 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 27
SableSal Gonna be in Anaheim, CA this Thursday... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 19
cbsdd Gonna check out this engine. 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 9
Husky44 Gonna blow up StangNet 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 33
M Whats my towing capacity range gonna be on my 03gt in theory SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
M Still gonna drive it off a cliff :( SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
M Gonna light it on fire and drive it off a cliff!!! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 12
J 2011 V6s are gonna piss me off I know it 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 112
killer5.0 gonna be ordering wheels...what size tires? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
killer5.0 gonna do a sn95 front swap and northracecars rear kit...what are the wheel specs? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
S gonna use a plenum spacer, have a ? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Mustang5L5 You guys are gonna love this Mustang 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 29
KyleEBK gonna do ford racing ac eliminator kit,anything i shuld know? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9