Good brand for long tubes?

I'm curious about installing long tube headers on my 2001 4.6GT. It has a stock motor; all I've changed so far is the midpipe and catback to Spintech units. I'm pretty happy with the combo, but of course, there's always room for improvement...

What is a good brand of long tube headers? I'd like quality, affordable long tubes as well as a matching h- or x-pipe WITH catalytic converters. I'll probably keep the Spintech catback I have. What websites/dealers have the best prices?

I know SLP has a new system out. How about JBA or BBK? Please don't even bother mentioning MAC--I'm never buying anything from them.

Also, if I change the exhaust this much, do I need to change anything on the intake side? Do I need to retune my motor after this? Recalibrate the ECU or anything? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I got 23 rwhp out of my Hooker LT headers and matching o/r x-pipe. I bought them from Thunder Racing (good price and service). The headers will cost you $700 for ceramic (6230-1) or $470 for chrome (6230). The o/r x-pipe (16762) sells for $140.

Thanks for the info on brands and pricing. How about the other question I had about intake modifications? Are they necessary when installing LT headers? Do I need to change the throttle body, intake manifold, or any other part on the intake side of things? Or can I just buy and install LT headers and a matching catted h-pipe?

i will be putting my new longblock in & i am contemplating putting on some LT's.
i would like to know which ones i could mount to the motor & just drop the motor in with the LT's mounted.
is this possible with BBK's?
will they clear the factory K & steering components once motor is mounted?
does LT's cause you to burn oil?
do BBK's leak?
i will probably use a DR Gas offroad X

L/T's dont cause you to burn oil... very bad rumor started by some 4v guys. Apparently a random 4v now and then would start to miss some oil. Im not sure if they found some around the headers or what. The conclusion they came up with was that the L/Ts were scavaging so good that they were pulling oil out of the engine. Ive had my L/Ts on for several months now and through about 2-3 oil changes. Havent lost a drop.
I did have a bit of clearance issues with my L/T's touching the steering shaft, but that was only after it was lowered, and I had new rack bushings installed. No one else that I know of has had this problem so I was just a freak occurance. Moved the motor a bit and its fine.
As for install, the factory K doesnt need to be removed, but it makes it a TON easier.
I have 0 problems with leaks and I have the BBK ceramic coated and BBK hi flow catted X.

You dont NEED to upgrade tb,plenum/cai ect... but it will give you a few extra hp for sure :nice:

StangLou- there is no header so good at scavenging that it will rip oil past the valve seals. The problems were specifically related to MAC L/Ts (surprise) and several 4V engines boroscoped after using the MAC headers showed evidence of weld slag being introduced into the cylinders through the EGR system.

I would not be concerned about any other manufacturer. I have had my BBKs on for a couple hundred miles and have noticed no smoking or loss of oil.

i really like my ceramic coated hooker lt's but, as said above, you need their x pipe for it to work...with the magnapacks they make the car sound wicked...I havent had any sort of leaking or clearance issues with them yet...and they have been on the car for about 1,000 miles

be aware that although the BBKs are a high quality header, if you ever have to access the transmission/clutch to service or replace the clutch, you will have to remove one of the headers (I think the drivers side). With the hookers, you don't have to because of their slip fit connection. Just an FYI.

millatime said:
be aware that although the BBKs are a high quality header, if you ever have to access the transmission/clutch to service or replace the clutch, you will have to remove one of the headers (I think the drivers side). With the hookers, you don't have to because of their slip fit connection. Just an FYI.
What is the part # on the hooker headers? Since they are slip fit can they be installed without dropping the k-member?

I am thinking about going with the BBK coated LTs,Dr gas O/R X, and a magnaflow catback...that sounded the best on mustangexhaust to me.What kind of power do you guys think I will make with that setup?Should be VERY straight through and not restrictive at all. And to answer your question, I dont think you really NEED to do anything but just to even it out and I beleive smooth out your exhaust a little I would do a little intake work.Just my opinion though on that.