got a clutch problem, need help

bdub

Sep 21, 2007
kinston
aight here is whats going on, i can press my clutch down to the floor and crank my car, but it will not go in gear at all??? with the car off i can go in all gears? any answers?

• Sponsors (?)

check your clutch cable adjustment. if you don't have an adjustable setup, whether it be with a firewall adjuster or just an adjustable cable, then you're cable is stretched and you need a new one. i'd suggest getting a ford racing NON-adjustable cable (i have the ford racing adjustable one and it works great too) and a firewall adjuster. and if you haven't already, get an aluminum quadrant. the factory plastic one is weak.

tried that, moved it 2 the 3rd hole on the quad, and it would go in gear, but it was hard, so i backed it out some more, and it was fine for a few mins then got back hard, im guessing the cable is just shot

Yep. Cable's probably stretched out. It happens to the best of 'em, eventually.

DO NOT buy an aftermarket cable, please. Look for a FORD cable. I thought it would be safe to go with a non-adjustable OEM-fit aftermarket cable, rather than the even crappier adjustable cables, and mine didn't even last me 9 months before it almost left me stranded. The Ford cables are visibly wound differently and constructed with a better sheath to protect them from the heat of your exhaust headers, plus they operate MUCH more smoothly than most aftermarket cables (again, probably due to the cable sheath construction). I have at least 150k on mine, as I kept it as a spare when installing an aftermarket cable a year or so ago, and that ancient cable works 2x better than the brand-new one did right out of the package.

Order the "universal" Ford cable from Maximum Motorsports ($75 shipped), take off the rubber grommet, trim the four little tabs off underneath that (I found it easier to just file 'em off) so it'll plug into your firewall adjuster, and then transfer the bracket-to-frame mount from your old cable to the new one (just involves some minor bending), and you're good for another 100k miles or so. :nice: