got another question

lostkid

Sep 13, 2006
hey guys i can get a running 351 out of a 70 something model truck for like 300 dollars(thats me goin and getting the truck and driving it home) i was wanting to know how hard would it be to make that fuel injected and get 400 reliable horses out of it. and how hard would it be to put it in my 94 gt would the transmission, motor mounts, and computer all need to be replaced.would it be best just to do a stroker with my stock block(has 153k miles on it). i want to get as close as possible N/A to a goal of a reliable 400rwhp.i thought the truck would be good because i could work on the motor while it was in the truck and not worry about not having a vehicle to drive if it goes down between parts. i plan on making this porject a long term one and it all boils down to which would be cheapest and most reliable 351 or a 331. i plan to get alot of my parts through chp.(i've read good things bout them) and i want to build it good and sturdy(all name brand well thought out parts)

thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

i just saw the chance and i didnt know if it would be worth trying to do. would it just be better to wait and by a completed block assymbly and not worrying about trying to build it. i'm just worried that my car wouldnt hold up to aftermarket parts because of the mileage...its already not running so hot.

First off, do you know the history of this 351 motor? As in, how many miles its got? Will you need to rebuild the shortblock and possibly bore/stroke it? One issue you will come accross is the 70 bolck isn't a roller block. It will cost you to retrofit it. As far as I know, motor mounts and tranny should bolt right up, as well as the front accessory brackets. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that though. Computer will need to be tuned, either with a chip or a PMS or TwEECer. And a 351 lower intake should be a direct swap from the carb setup. What is your projected budget for this build-up? You can build something really sick out of it, but it'll cost you mad chedda.

i wasnt planning on putting a budget on it since it wasnt in my car. i wouldnt have a time limit, so i would just focus on one part at a time. like i said i was planning on making it a long term project. i dont expect to get done for a while i was just wondering if it would be better to try to go with the 351, try and build the stock motor up, or order an already put together system from coasthigh.com(they have the best prices i have seen so far)my long term goal is to get as much hp as possible and remain reliable, and i heard that the stock motor gives at 500rwhp(not saying i will make it that far just saying i wouldnt mind)

400hp at the wheels is about 470 at the crank. from a 351, that isn't impossible, but you would need to stroke it with forged stuff to 393 or 408 or bigger, put some good heads on it, say afr 205 or 225s, and a pretty agressive cam

you would either need to stay with a flat tappet cam, or retrofit a roller cam/lifters to it, which is expensive.

400rwhp from a 347 is doable too, but it will not be very streetable.

if i could get a whole 351 engine for $300, i'd jump on it and get it cleaned up and stroke it to 408. i almost went that dir, but i couldn't find a complete 351 that cheap and my budget doesn't allow for much more right now. if i got a roller block, that would be great, but if not, i'd stick with a flat tappet cam and not do the roller converison

would it just be better to try the 331 with a power adder (cheaper ,easier ,and more reliable) the 351 fuel injection conversion runs like 4k from coasthigh.com is there a better way to do it? is there any parts from my 302 that will go over to the 351 to make the build cheaper. i dont have a set bunget because i plan to just save and get "good" parts one at a time but i do want to go the best power for my buck way.

I eventually am looking to drop a 351C that I recently had bored out to 408 into my 94gt when I can convince my wife I should be allowed to spend more money for my garage project. I won't be going EFI though. I just figured it would be easier for me to carb it. Let me know how your project goes if you go forward with it. I ran out of money after the magna-fluxing and machine work.

please create a signature and tells what your car is. if you have a 94/95 already, then you don't need to do an efi conversion because the car is already efi

all a 351 needs is a lower intake that can take injectors

so all i would have to do to switch the 351 to efi is get a new lower intake/ then it might be cheaper to go that route instead of tryin to order a premade stroker

you still have the issue of rebuilding the 351 unless you have good reason to beliece the shortblock is in good shape.

i''ll see if i can dig up my 393 build sheet i was working on.

but chp sells a 393 short block (non-roller cam though) for $2199, which i think is a pretty good price. i would either start there or get a prepped block from here and a kit from summit and build my own short block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7949663919&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

351 blocks are much stronger than 302 blocks.

buy the truck. get some good heads. 351 intake. flat tappet cam. injectors, bigger MAF configured to the injectors. pull out the old 302, drop in the 351. call it a day.

Search around on here for a 351 swap. read up on that stuff. thats all your really doing is swapping out a 351 for a 302.

alright i'm leaning toward the 393 from chp. would this motor be good to boost with a super or turbo.(i'm thinkin about later on in the future like after i get out of college)

well the truck is a now go.
the guy that i was goin to get it from decided to keep it carb and put it in his 68. so if i want to go with the 351 i will have to build one myself.\

blackvert how much do you know about the blocks off ebay.
do you know what hp they can hold up against.(are they cheap crap)
i'm just asking because i got scammed on ebay twice and i'm a little scared of it.

how hard would it to do this project with a budget of maybe 5k.
is that realistic.
how hard is this project to do if i really do my research.

i don't think you can get a 351W based stroker and all the supporting hardware for under 5k. my thinking you'll spend close to 10k if not more. if you really want a new motor, stick with a 302 based stroker and get a long block from CHP for 4-5k and pop that in