Got Screwed At Work

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Well went into work last night and was told they are doing away with 2nd shift. I guess their idea is to do away with it for a few months and see how things go. Pisses me off I want to buy a hose and they wanna dick me around. They were gonna do a 3rd shift I bid on that job and was told i had it but went on 2nd because the guy that was suppose to move to 3rd got hurt. They wanted me to learn the job then go to 3rd by myself till he came back. Well our GM was a freaking moron so they got rid of him and brought another guy in who didn't like the 3rd shift idea and now he getting rid of 2nd. Think i'm gonna go to a place up the street from where I live. Its a warehouse i hear they are hiring and I could walk to work and save a ton on gas money. Depends what they pay though

• Sponsors (?)

I live a mile from my job... my buddies all complain about commutes and crap, and I can't even finish a song in the CD player before I make it to work.

Plus I can go home for lunch, which ends up saving a lot of money as well. During the summer I will ride a bike to work once and a while if its not too hot out. Because of the need to be within 7 miles of the power plant where I work due to response time and being on call, a lot of guys live really close so come nice weather you'll see 8 or 9 bikes in the parking lot!

adam

Just talked to my dad. He works there during the day. I guess what their idea is they want to get rid of the people on day shift cause they are slow. So no matter what i go in there today and tell them i want the job for the 3 months on days I have it. Also when second starts back up I'll have that job too cause I'll have more training then the other guy that i'm filling in for. The big question is whats my partner gonna do. She says shes gonna bump out and go to a different job in the plant. If she does when second starts back up I'll be the opperator of the cutter so I'll be making $13.40 base rate + 5% shift diff + whatever bonus. My partner figured out last night on my job now I make $10.60 + 5% = bouns so she figures I make about 14-15 dollars an hour. Thats figuring with about $100 bonus a week which I think it usually closer to $200 a week. So even then I'd be making 18-20 or so bucks an hour which to me is good pay.

So I guess I'll stick it out and see where it goes. I don't like where i work that much but I like my job now. I'm used to being there and the people. Kinda scared to go anywhere else.

OH and if i stay there and take the job I'll have a secure job nobody can bump me so i'd be pretty much set. Won't have to worry about losing my job

That sucks about them doing away with the 2nd shift.

Have you ever considered getting into the trades? Plumbing, electrical, hvac.

I dunno about your state, but here the unions for those trades pay top dollar. Licensed Plumbers getting 51 an hour benifits included in that pay. Licensed eletricians/plumbers can make 25-30 an hour easily working for non union companies, then theres always option of going out on your own.

I have friends in all these trades, and all do VERY WELL.

Just some random thoughts i know lol