got some lifter tick. and fuel pressure question..

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
heya today i noticed my car started ticking, i suspected exhaust. as teh night went on the ticking got louder and doesnt sound like an exhaust leak at all.

its more inside, sounds like valvetrain, i dont think it would be the rocker arms, i torqued them down right.

i am guessing a lifter is bad, i reused a stock set from the engine i rebuilt.

so is lifter replacement possible with HEADS ON THE CAR?

also, i am getting my FP guage on and AFPR also on tomorrow, what FP should i run with my combo?? (in sig)

• Sponsors (?)

awesome. i had a friend tell me the deck height is too low and the lifters will hit the head if u try and take em out.

and whats the procedure to set the FP?? just unplug the vac line and plug it with my thumb and adjust it?

i was doing some other stuff today, i installed my AFPR and fixed a leaky TB gasket, i popped the rocker covers off and check for a rocker that may have came loose. they were fine.
a couple of header bolts were loose, i tightended them.

got it all back together, car still had the tick. it doesnt seem to have a real affect of the performance, the engine still runs smoothe.

the tick is coming from around the number 5 cyl

and a thing i noticed, it does it all the time EXCEPT when you are decelerating IN GEAR (letting the revs bring you down), then it doesnt do it, can this help someone pinpoint what it is for sure and why wouldnt it do it then.

BTW the AFPR helped me. car seems run a little stronger, i gave it around 39 at first, ran good and then changed it like 43 to see if it would do anything. thats where its at now. it also helped my bucking problem go away. used to, when cruising at say 1500 rpms in 4th or 5th gear, and you gave it just a little throttle, the car would start bucking bad. if you gave it more gas it would go away. i have a screwdriver with me so i can adjust it easily at any time, i will play with it and see what works best...

now its gone

ALSO. this is unrealated i am sure. but my upper to lower gasket, the back half of the gasket (cyls 3,4,7 and 8) was wet and a couple more seems to be leaking (it would be wet b/w adjacent holes), didnt smell like gas, must have been oil.... any help with what this means??? it wasnt actually wet to the touch, but something was there. i am sure it was oil.....

Foxfan88 said:
i was doing some other stuff today, i installed my AFPR and fixed a leaky TB gasket, i popped the rocker covers off and check for a rocker that may have came loose. they were fine.
a couple of header bolts were loose, i tightended them.

got it all back together, car still had the tick. it doesnt seem to have a real affect of the performance, the engine still runs smoothe.

the tick is coming from around the number 5 cyl

and a thing i noticed, it does it all the time EXCEPT when you are decelerating IN GEAR (letting the revs bring you down), then it doesnt do it, can this help someone pinpoint what it is for sure and why wouldnt it do it then.

BTW the AFPR helped me. car seems run a little stronger, i gave it around 39 at first, ran good and then changed it like 43 to see if it would do anything. thats where its at now. it also helped my bucking problem go away. used to, when cruising at say 1500 rpms in 4th or 5th gear, and you gave it just a little throttle, the car would start bucking bad. if you gave it more gas it would go away. i have a screwdriver with me so i can adjust it easily at any time, i will play with it and see what works best...

now its gone

ALSO. this is unrealated i am sure. but my upper to lower gasket, the back half of the gasket (cyls 3,4,7 and 8) was wet and a couple more seems to be leaking (it would be wet b/w adjacent holes), didnt smell like gas, must have been oil.... any help with what this means??? it wasnt actually wet to the touch, but something was there. i am sure it was oil.....

That means oil is being sucked up via your pcv valve and it gets that gasket wet with oil.

You can try a new PCV screen, or what alot of people do is install an oil separator in line between the intake and PCV valve. I put my PCV screen in a big paint can full of carb cleaner for 24 hours, when it came out it looked brand new and now it doesn't suck much oil in at all, like it used to. You can buy these big cans of carb cleaner at any auto parts store. Its pretty nice to have, I've cleaned a ton of car parts in it, and it has a little basket like a deep fryer so you dont lose stuff.
I set my fuel pressure at 39, it seems to make the most power there, but right now its at 41 because I've been trying to troubleshoot some part throttle running issues.

Foxfan88 said:
aha!

i dont have the little screen, thats why.. i will need to get one..

LOL I did the same thing. I forgot to swap the screen over from the stock intake. I drove it like that for a few months and couldn't figure out why it was eating a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Now it burns about a half a quart every 5000.