Got the PI intake installed good stuff

Texstang9682

Oct 8, 2006
Austin, Texas
Well like I said I got it done. I noticed a pretty good difference in the top end. Although the max performance is being hampered by a bad O2 sensor, but I'll get it fixed. I will say one thing these cars aint got no damn torque. Even though every thing on the car is after market except the heads and cams. I did have the HPS adapters but, I decided to not use them and they are avalible.

I do have one question though I have a regular chip from superchips and I dont think it is helping one bit, so my question is do I go with a SCT XCAL2 or the SF model or do I get custom tuning done Mike Murrillo Motorsports which is very close to me with a flat fee of 550 out the door. I'm looking to get every last drop of power from the car. What do yall think?

• Sponsors (?)

Why did you decide not to use the HPS adaptors? :shrug: I'll take them off of your hands if the price is right ;)

You could get by using a xcal2 for the time being and hold off on the true dyno tune since you are likely to upgrade your cams and maybe heads in the future. That is when the tune would net you the best gains.

Good deal on the PI intake. I actually lost some (peak) torque though when I installed it on my stang. Dyno tuned is almost always going to be the better route to go as you are working off of what your car is doing at different points in the curve as opposed to going with a tune that is canned based upon other owner's stangs with similar mods.

The only reason that I suggested to go with a programmer for now is that it seems he is planning to upgrade cams/heads soon which would require another dyno tune to get things straight again. I don't believe running on a programmers tune for a PI intake would be a problem until that time comes :shrug:

Why did you decide not to use the HPS adaptors? :shrug: I'll take them off of your hands if the price is right ;)

You could get by using a xcal2 for the time being and hold off on the true dyno tune since you are likely to upgrade your cams and maybe heads in the future. That is when the tune would net you the best gains.

PM me and we can talk about the adapters I dont wanna break any rules

The only reason that I suggested to go with a programmer for now is that it seems he is planning to upgrade cams/heads soon which would require another dyno tune to get things straight again. I don't believe running on a programmers tune for a PI intake would be a problem until that time comes :shrug:

Well you are half right I do plan on doing cams possibly soe comp 62's or 68's whichever dosent require new springs and has a better sounding idle. Considering the tuner is around 400 dollars (The XCAL2) I might just spend the extra 150 for the acual dyno tune. Keep in mind this is Mike Murillo he has done several 96-04's in my area and some people were reporting gains of 30 hp @ the wheels. And also the price includes a SCT big mass air meter.

And as for the heads as soon as race season starts which is soon I will be getting a job as SRS motors which is a machine shop, so maybe I can get a good deal on getting the heads worked or maybe they can do it for free. That would be nice:nice:

Good deal on the PI intake. I actually lost some (peak) torque though when I installed it on my stang. Dyno tuned is almost always going to be the better route to go as you are working off of what your car is doing at different points in the curve as opposed to going with a tune that is canned based upon other owner's stangs with similar mods.

You know come to think of it I might have lost a little bit of torque also in the process, Ya know? The stupid car has absolutly no low end grunt to it. I'm hopin the 4.10's I'm doing on Sunday will help with that.
I do appreciate the replys and opinions guys thanks!

You know come to think of it I might have lost a little bit of torque also in the process, Ya know? The stupid car has absolutly no low end grunt to it. I'm hopin the 4.10's I'm doing on Sunday will help with that.
I do appreciate the replys and opinions guys thanks!

4.10's FTW.

It won't jerk your head off but it will make a TON of difference.

The Comp 262's do not require springs but some would say to change them anyway. I didn't and have about 50K miles since the swap with no issues.

Not much of a lope from the 262's, wasn't what I was looking for anyway, but the power is pretty decent.

A dyno tune would be nice if you have the money to hand over for one. You'll pick up power from it and make sure your A/F is right where it needs to be :nice:

I've heard many good things about Murillo and his shop :nice: