Grant Wheel install

wakeboardan

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2002
San Diego
So I just swapped my factory wheel for a 3 spoke grant with the pony emblem-horn button. Prior to the swap, I had a functional horn. Using the Grant installation kit on the new wheel, I have no horn, which is the problem. Even if I touch to 2 wires together, no sounds happen. I remembered to reconnect the battery when I tested the 2 wires, so im a bit unsure on how to next attack this issue. The new wheel looks and works good, but I would definitely prefer an operable horn over my mouth when it may be necessary on the road:eek:

Anybody install a grant wheel an have a similar issue or idea for a fix? This is a 1968 coupe for the record.

• Sponsors (?)

The Grant horn setup is not very good. Glad you got it working. I had the pony horn button fall off of my car once. It was parked and the horn was just blowing non-stop. I ended up making a bracket and modifing it.

With the latest Grant wheel in my Cougar, the horn was iffy and worked intermittently. I rewired the circuit with a relay to switch direct battery power to the horn and it works every time now.

the only problem on mine is that the button likes to pop off now and again. Doesn't do anything to the horn, but its just kind of annoying.

the first time, you may not have had the contact disk / contacts lined up quite right, glad to hear you got it working tho!

I have one of these too, and the horn button tends to fall off occasionally. It's a piece! I would be interested in seeing the bracket someone made to fix this. Right now I have some electrival tape wrapped around the edge of the horn contact to make the disc a little thicker so the horn button has something extra to grab. Kind of ghetto though. You can't see it, but I know it's there.

The Grant horn button has been a falling-off POS since I was in high school, when Nixon was president. They have not improved the quality of the horn or the poor wood workmanship since then. If you want some thing nicer than OEM, get one of these:

G01108.jpg

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your better off with the factory steering wheel.

In my opinion Grant steering wheels are just generic cheapo steering wheels. I'll never buy one. On that particular wheel the horn arcs and/or falls off and I won't have anything to do with it. I have know a few people that had the one and they all hate it.

What is that?
sparx

That's a Moto-Lita. The image is linked from the Glazier Nolan site. The Moto-Lita sells for a little over twice the price of the Grant, but it's many times the quality, better than any Ford OEM wheel, including the horn button. If you had it side-by-side with the Grant, it makes the Grant look like something made in shop class at school.

Getting back to the OP's question, you need to see whether the wheel is fully seated, so the slip rings contact the horn brushes on the column.

that is a nice wheel but too much for me to just hold onto. I'm happy with my grant, and with just a little sanding, and some stain and varnish mine looks just as good as that wood, minus the horn button of course.

Hey Guys,
I thought I read/heard that fairly recently, Grant did a redesign of their horn apparatus, with reasonable reports from users. Not sure if this is true or if it is any real improvement, but I'm interested in info. I have a 68 with a whooped wheel, etc and for my taste the original was ucking fugly. So a reasonably priced upgrade is due.
Thanx,
Gene

Hey Guys,
I thought I read/heard that fairly recently, Grant did a redesign of their horn apparatus, with reasonable reports from users. Not sure if this is true or if it is any real improvement, but I'm interested in info.

After 40+ years they suddenly upgrade the horn? Forgive if I doubt. The only way I've even been able to keep them on is with a bead of silicone rubber sealant. And they still spark.