Grinding Noise coming from ebrake area

No.11

10 Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
So I have this grinding noise that I can hear coming from under the ebrake. It becomes more audible when I accelerate, and is weight dependent. When I'm alone, the noise is nonexistant. When I have passengers, it'll make the noise. A look underneath the car revealed two things. One was that my drivetrain has been scraping up top as it turns (car too low?) The other is a missing transmission mount bolt, which I'm going to put in tomorrow. I was told my Pep Boys mechanics that the problem was my rear shocks. I bought them and installed them myself but the problem persisted. Bumps are no more gentle than they used to be. Could it be my coils? My grandfather mentioned that it might be a fault of the rear control arms. I'm too noob to know if that could be it or not lol... so yeah, any ideas? Pep Boys dude also told me that the missing transmission bolt could also be to blame for the fact that my ebrake doesn't hold at all.

My girlfriend was being suspicious and wondering if they might have taken off the bolt lol...could be.

Edit: I also recently noticed a loud noise sounding like metal vibrating under my car, which I am sure must be due to the missing transmission mount bolt.

Anyway, I retired for today extremely disappointed :( any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see how a missing transmission bolt can cause your ebrake to not work.. :shrug:

It it is directly under the e brake, well then I would guess the transmission is grinding? Lol

The transmission seems to be ok, it's only when I accelerate while having the car loaded with weight that I hear that grinding noise. And yeah I was wondering about the ebrake thing but I figured he knew more than me :(