Gripe: What happened to all of the progress threads?

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I know times are tough. Hell, I took a $6,500 pay cut in December to start a new job AND had to buy a truck. But I urge you...nay... BEG you to start taking more pictures of your rides and mods as they happen and posting them up and break the B-cam/GT-40/muffler/how wide monotonous malarkey.

That's what this is for:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/fox-talks-really-common-questions-thread.825480/

I looked around a little. Since March 1st,
- citmov
- toolow91
- My 85 GT
- Boss 351 (blog site)
- Hoopty5.0
- RacEoHolic330
- 2vNotch
- ReefBlueHatch
- MadMike1157

Have all updated theirs, but that's 9 out of hundreds of people who visit this each day. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR CARS?!?!? I'm interested to see. And when you get stuck or have a problem, ask! Any time I hit a snag specific to my build, I ask in my thread and usually have an answer within the day.

Excuse the neurotic rant, but this page helps me cope with living/working offshore 6 months out of the year and being 5,000 miles away from my car (and my GF i guess :shrug:).

• Sponsors (?)

very true. i think the economy has certainly played a part, with gas the way it is, and people loosing/accepting worse jobs in time of need theres not much time. im still tinkering with my car, just nothing notable to warrant an update in my build thread.

i love reading build threads so keep posting guys

Mine is done really. I'm just enjoying driving the car and focusing on a family/house etc. once I take care of that, then it's crate motor time.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I post updates at every juncture (as you have pointed out). And w/ me, there's always a new juncture. That, coupled to the fact that I'm an attention whore, and like to hear myself talk, are all reasons TO keep updating my progress thread. But,......the last mods have been so poorly received that only two comments were made.
When you take the time to contribute here, and the end result is cyber cricket noise,...well the next potential progress update tends to get buttoned up w/o any pictures or comments. If nobody cares what you do, why bother?

The reason you counted 9 is because that's the current member count (more or less) that care enough to render comments with any regularity.

IDK what the other forums are like,...but this one needs another guy driving a convertible S197 that wants to know what kind of hat he needs to get to compliment his stylish ride.

Reactions: 1 user
Well said mike , my thread shotty pics or not takes me 5 updates and I maybe get one response on it from time to time at this point I do it just to have something to look back At for progress

Well said mike , my thread shotty pics or not takes me 5 updates and I maybe get one response on it from time to time at this point I do it just to have something to look back At for progress

And to expand on what you just said,...It is important to get a picture posted that is big enough, and clear enough for all to see. I am guilty as hell for posting dark, ambiguous pictures that may as well have been vacation pictures from my family outing in 1968.
Additionally, it's important to have something different to add. These progress threads have been happening on here for so long that there is little else that can be said/done that hasn't been done before.
It's a Catch 22 really. For the new guy, seeing a basic H.C.I. 5.0 thread may be informative enough to garner interest and in return get some feedback, but for alot of others, it wouldn't even get a sniff. That starts the snowball effect, as poor ol young dude posts up his newly finished progress thread, nobody comments, and he goes away thinking nobody cares. Probably the most informative, entertaining, and beneficial to the community progress thread concerning a H.C.I. on a 5.o was the one NikwoaC did last year.
I didn't have anything he was talking about, but followed every post because it was informative, entertaining, & the pictures were HUGE, clear, and well lit. (Because he had a better camera than my 99.00 5 MP Kodak from 2003)
It also helps to stay positive. I know that I'm as bad as they come about first posting a dig when somebody posts a new pic, but......there have been a few guys on here that have posted stuff that have been deemed unpopular by the masses and dude was flamed for his contribution.
To that,...I'll add this "collective advice" to anyone posting up a progress thread.
Don't post greasy asssed pics of an engine that you are working on. There are no greasy assed engines in car shows, cruise ins, or at the race track.
If you decide to put a double stacked wing or some hoopty body kit on your car, understand that unpopular mods, are unpopular mods. You will never change the opinions of those that find them distasteful.
Pictures should be big, clear, and concise.
Save yourself some criticism by spell checking what you write. Most will let a few mistakes slide, but if you keep talking about doing a 5 lug/big break upgrade, I'll jump in and ask you whether you eat stakes or steaks?

And to expand on what you just said,...It is important to get a picture posted that is big enough, and clear enough for all to see. I am guilty as hell for posting dark, ambiguous pictures that may as well have been vacation pictures from my family outing in 1968.
Additionally, it's important to have something different to add. These progress threads have been happening on here for so long that there is little else that can be said/done that hasn't been done before.
It's a Catch 22 really. For the new guy, seeing a basic H.C.I. 5.0 thread may be informative enough to garner interest and in return get some feedback, but for alot of others, it wouldn't even get a sniff. That starts the snowball effect, as poor ol young dude posts up his newly finished progress thread, nobody comments, and he goes away thinking nobody cares. Probably the most informative, entertaining, and beneficial to the community progress thread concerning a H.C.I. on a 5.o was the one NikwoaC did last year.
I didn't have anything he was talking about, but followed every post because it was informative, entertaining, & the pictures were HUGE, clear, and well lit. (Because he had a better camera than my 99.00 5 MP Kodak from 2003)

Word. Although I might add that lack of comments don't bother me (unless I ask a question). As long as I see the view count change, it shows me people are interested enough to keep coming back and I'll keep posting more. I fully intend to do some personal touches to my car (when I get home) that may not be on EVERY other fox out there. Yes, most of it has been done before, but I think everyone has something new to contribute at some point - most notably lately is your car.

I've been working on my car quite a bit, I just have been so busy with work and getting my yard looking good for spring. I haven't updated my project thread because it isn't real exciting, something that's been done 1,000 times.

Word. Although I might add that lack of comments don't bother me (unless I ask a question). As long as I see the view count change, it shows me people are interested enough to keep coming back and I'll keep posting more. I fully intend to do some personal touches to my car (when I get home) that may not be on EVERY other fox out there. Yes, most of it has been done before, but I think everyone has something new to contribute at some point - most notably lately is your car.
I added some junk after you quoted me,.....I do that. Sorry:shrug:

I added some junk after you quoted me,.....I do that. Sorry:shrug:

I still agree. I'm also glad that someone else knows what a "hoopty" is.

I've been working on my car quite a bit, I just have been so busy with work and getting my yard looking good for spring. I haven't updated my project thread because it isn't real exciting, something that's been done 1,000 times.

Meh, I could look at your car all day, new stuff or not.

I've been planning on starting one as soon as I get around to doing something interesting enough. I did however start this one over in the sqeaky wheel just to show some of the stuff I was doing. Picture documentation kinda sucks, but it's something.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/first-mods-for-the-fox-coming-soon.852119/
Yeah, and it shows extra dedication to the cause walking around doing all that w/ all that pointy shi t hanging off your heel and all.:nice:

Mines still sitting at a friends house until I get my garage rebuilt and me and a buddy can go over it to see if its worth fixin. Ill make a thread if it is.
Until then I have a small one going on the repaint of the 01 in the 4.6 section.

I post updates at every juncture (as you have pointed out). And w/ me, there's always a new juncture. That, coupled to the fact that I'm an attention whore, and like to hear myself talk, are all reasons TO keep updating my progress thread. But,......the last mods have been so poorly received that only two comments were made.
When you take the time to contribute here, and the end result is cyber cricket noise,...well the next potential progress update tends to get buttoned up w/o any pictures or comments. If nobody cares what you do, why bother?

The reason you counted 9 is because that's the current member count (more or less) that care enough to render comments with any regularity.

IDK what the other forums are like,...but this one needs another guy driving a convertible S197 that wants to know what kind of hat he needs to get to compliment his stylish ride.
Well said. I am still working on my car, but I usually spend my time on the computer posting over on SEFB. I think this site has really dropped off. I am also an attention whore who loves to post pics and hear encouraging comments. If nobody comments, that kinda bothers me. I have made a whole new progress thread over on SEFB, and have gotten a pretty good bit of comments. I guess the next time I do something to my car (which will probably be next week) I will make a thread about it to liven this place up a little.

Well said. I am still working on my car, but I usually spend my time on the computer posting over on SEFB. I think this site has really dropped off. I am also an attention whore who loves to post pics and hear encouraging comments. If nobody comments, that kinda bothers me. I have made a whole new progress thread over on SEFB, and have gotten a pretty good bit of comments. I guess the next time I do something to my car (which will probably be next week) I will make a thread about it to liven this place up a little.

Too many people feel that way and that's what leads to less traffic. I'm guilty of the same, but that's also the reason I made a winter project thread :nice:

Too many people feel that way and that's what leads to less traffic. I'm guilty of the same, but that's also the reason I made a winter project thread :nice:

Yeah, well people post build threads for one reason in my book: To get their ego stroked. In other words, "Hey! Look what I did".
It's like women w/ shoes. They don't buy them for themselves, they buy them for the other women to look at while they are on their feet. For somebody to post a pic, and say that they don't care what others think, and that they did it for themselves, I say :bs:. It's why we modify the car in the first place,....to look good while having a good time ( And In my case, looking like I do, I need all the help I can get)
Ozz, you'll always get positive comments out of most because nobody can deny that your shiny assed engine compartment looks killer.
And Slow90, the fact that you just starting eating solid food while building a car like yours will also bring out the lurkers offering up positive comments at the recent batch of bandwidth eating up, 17" monitor filling pictures of your car w/ the 7th, 8th, and 9th set of wheels and tires you just happened to have "laying around";) Truth be told , you'd probably get hammered harder by the jealous types if they didn't think you did any of that work yourself, or that you worked to pay for it. I for one believe you, Oh,.I think you get paid real well,... but I think you did the work and bought it w/ the money you earned.
There is also a fellowship at SEFB that is reinforced by the fact that most of you guys are only a couple hours apart from each other, and personal meets are often do-able. Here, we are hundreds of miles (even thousands) apart from each, and that makes it hard to get to know anybody past this type of interaction. (Hell we may as well all just lie to each other and claim we have any car we want,...like internet dating):banana: