Groaning/Grinding Power Steering

MattMan02GT

Jul 24, 2018
Albany, NY
Hello all, yesterday when turning tight left into a parking spot my car started making a new sound. When turning from centerline until most of the way left it lets it a terrible groaning, creaking, grinding sound. There is no sound when sweeping the wheel to the right, though. I will start by saying it doesn't look like the fluid has been replaced in a long time (ever?) and that I'm grabbing a few quarts of trans fluid to flush the system on my way home. I'll hopefully do it this weekend and post an update.

I replaced the A arms a couple months back with Moog since that did the ball joints and both bushings all in one shot, rather than trying to press them all out and in separately. The new ball joints are significantly more stiff than the old ones and steering effort has certainly increased. Do you think the stiffer rotating ball joints combined with old fluid might have buggered something in the pump?

• Sponsors (?)

If the power steering fluid reservoir is down even a little bit, the steering can get really noisy. Try adding the Lucas power steering with conditioners product, the stuff is magical for addressing power steering seals that are drying out.

If the power steering fluid reservoir is down even a little bit, the steering can get really noisy. Try adding the Lucas power steering with conditioners product, the stuff is magical for addressing power steering seals that are drying out.

Thank you for the reply. The fluid is actually a pinch above Max fill level, but definitely due for a change.

I stayed up late last night working on it and purged out all of the old fluid and replaced it with Mercon V. Had a busy day of grad parties so I only got to test drive it a mile down the road and back this morning, but didn't hear the noise. I'll know for sure pulling in to work tomorrow and if it's still there I'll give that Lucas a shot. My dad swears by it as well.

I remember my power steering got extremely noisey, same with pushing the brakes due to it sharing the fluid for the booster. It was all cause it was a bit low. Fluid was gray and milky cause last owner didn't take car of it. I put some Preston stop noise with a bottle of blue devil stop leak and the problem has yet to come back a year later