Progress Thread "Grover" Progress Thread - Interview @ Foxtoberfest '23

• Sponsors (?)

Would be nice to have the roll cage, what happened with white car? Do you need to register car if not driven on the street in CA? My Miata isn't registered, I don't even have a title.

Mike, I will register it in Florida -- military. The only time it would come up or impact me will be on resale, assuming I sell before my next move. If that's what you're getting at, yes, unsmogable cars definitely should drive down value, here. I guess the question is, how much? I bought and sold Blackjack for $6,500, and it had the GT40 top-end and some nice drag oriented rear suspension. This car is pretty similar, but more road course oriented. Blackjack had A/C and people didn't have to worry about smogging it in KY, though. Do you think I offered too much?

As to the white car, it really had promise, and I agree that the roll cage would be better. Unfortunately, after speaking with the seller, I just didn't feel good about it, and I've gotta trust my gut. The thing is, the seller didn't really know anything about the car. When I asked him what k-member it had, he had no idea what I was talking about. I was able to figure it out from one of the pics he sent afterwards -- it's stock. He confirmed that it has stock heads and says it makes 340 rwhp based off of what the previous owner told him, and he does not have the dyno. So, I can't believe what the guy is telling me about the car. If he had it dynoed and it made 340, I'd have to believe it has aftermarket heads that he didn't know about. My experiences have taught me to be skeptical, trust my gut, and never buy from someone that gives you a reason not to trust 'em no matter how good the deal seems.

Furthermore, I'd guess the car, with stock heads, makes 240-250 and given the stock k-member, I just think I'm looking for more car if I'm buying a race-only car.

The black one has a few advantages in my mind. 1) resale should be easier than a race-only car, 2) it might actually be quicker around the track with 290 rwhp & MM front suspension, 3) I could register, insure, and enjoy it on a daily basis, 4) I have a thing for black hatches, lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Pushed the last guy to make a decision, and his decision was that he is not in a hurry to sell... After 19 days, thank you CPT Obvious! Really thought that one would go through. Oh well. Onto the next:

I don't know too much about it, but it looks like a track-ready suspension with widened front fenders, an "SVO" block, which I would guess is the old basically stock sportsman block. However, I can see the systemax intake, headers and from the description it has a T56 trans. There are clearly some pricey mods on this car, and I'll bet it would be a fun HPDE car. I've asked for more info.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/1990-mustang-lx-full-griggs/6369449059.html

This is the all out Griggs set up. SLA front end, Watts link rear, and everything else needed. 5.0 with all the goodies and it's in an SVO block which is stronger than stock block. Has a T56 speed gearbox! 3.55 rear gear posi. 6 point roll cage with some comfy seats. Newer tires Azenis. So much more can't list!

00g0g_3jGUkCu7ONc_1200x900.jpg
01414_61ttCcjN8o5_1200x900.jpg
00H0H_36vTyMHeNPv_1200x900.jpg
00R0R_b80qpeNnRMJ_1200x900.jpg
00Z0Z_xxAsyTyjp1_1200x900.jpg
00202_dyXkHcIB7H3_1200x900.jpg
00707_5owMnJkNFXD_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Figured that one would go quick. Looks like a purpose built track car that would be a blast to drive. Hopefully new owner adjusts those dumps a bit. Really messing up/corroding all the hardware on that rear end.

Why would he re-adjust those dumps oh to point right to the rear wheels got ya..so if the motor ever went oil would hit the back wheels...good idea...i was told y one of the best exhaust shops around when he builds systems he always points them in so if somethign was to happen the oil..water etc would go down the middle of the car instead of at the tires...... just saying ...IMO i hate dumps anyways....they stink when idling...

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't this a beauty?! https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Ford-...ash=item4671663a10:g:Of4AAOSwGG5aIbB8&vxp=mtr

I was considering putting in a bid as it appears in the ad, but then the highest bid jumped from $8,200 to $9,100. I love the color combo and how obviously well taken care of the car seems.

The ad claims 300 hp on a dyno, but the parts don't justify that claim. The owner told me that it's still running iron heads, which I believe were e7s. I was kinda hoping it was a full H/C/I car so I could still be in the game, but now I'm pretty sure it's going to sell for more than I'm willing to pay.

Nice saleen foxbody prices have been rising for a few years.
Even crappy ruined cars that need full restoration are getting expensive.

The tan interior is pretty rare, even more rare in a saleen and the gold package (if original) seems to have a following too.
Probably a high teens car. It's pretty damn nice.

Not exactly a car you want to turn into a track car either.

Last edited:
No, that would be absolutely be a cruiser. I just don't think I'd be happy with that level of performance and wouldn't want to ruin a Saleen.

I hear you. I have have to adjust my expectations on what these cars are worth. Here are two absolute gems that I just can't justify the price of. The black one has exactly the same steeda g-trac suspension system and Baer brake system that mine did when I bought it. Mine also had the GT40X/GT40 heads and intake with an incon kit and a 3550 trans. I bought it for 11.5k in 2004. Mine was turbocharged which I prefer over a blower. Yet, this guy wants more than double what I paid, asking $26k, but it is a real beauty and the mileage is very low:
43597866189.467640794.IM1.04.640x480_A.1000x546.jpg

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=467640794&zip=93955&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=93955&startYear=1993&sortBy=distanceASC&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE%2CHATCH&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=1993&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&transmissionCodes=MAN&startYear=1993&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE,HATCH&firstRecord=0&endYear=1993&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST

And here's another one I would love for $18k:
43589862270.461683858.IM1.MAIN.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=461683858&zip=93955&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=93955&startYear=1987&sortBy=distanceASC&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE%2CHATCH&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=1993&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&transmissionCodes=MAN&startYear=1987&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE,HATCH&firstRecord=0&endYear=1993&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST

My intuition says ~$15k for the first car and maybe 12-13k for the red one. I gather my intuition must be wrong, but I can't go into the 20s on a non-cobra fox with a stock block, no T56, etc... steeda parts aren't the same as griggs/MM, either. I am enamored with cars like them, but since I've been there/done that, I would much prefer the griggs car above them, because I think I would love to experience the pinnacle of fox track performance at Laguna Seca while I still live here. I definitely missed out on that one. I did try though. I sent multiple messages a couple months ago when I first found the car on an american iron board for sale. grrr...

Last edited:

I think at a glance that car looks good.
But the parts list is a conglomeration of Great, mediocre and crap parts.
Keith craft afr ported heads, typhoon intake and proform rockers, seriously?
Griggs torque arm and kyb shocks?
Upr K member for road racing?
They just mixed too many brands and part types for my taste.
The paint is awful too.
28 miles on it after the work?
The whole things begs the question, do they really know what they were doing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This guy will let it go for $5,800 and I'd get seats and a black interior to swap over. Seems legit, doesn't it? If truly an 80k mile car, it's worth it. If it's a 180k mile car... then not so sure.

Oh yeah, on the phone he said he hadn't driven it regularly in the past 3 years, that it has a nice black interior, and that he's got the passenger corbeau, but no a bracket for it. He's sending pics and I may go check it out today or this week.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/1993-mustng-50-lx/6410209620.html

Last edited:
He hasn't sent me anything, yet. We'll see. Those pics looks really old to me for some reason. So, I'm a bit skeptical, and I'm not driving the 2 hours to him until I see some of the interior and more recent exterior pics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I agree. Hmmm.... The plot thickens.

Those front wheels look perfectly centered. Don't the MM kits push the wheels forward?

Last edited: