Grundy Insurance

Fri Guy

15 Year Member
May 10, 2007
Been looking at some classic car insurance quotes from different companies. I'm leaning towards Grundy, they have an agreed value and priced pretty good compared to Hagerty and others. Any of you guys using Grundy? If so and pros and cons with them?

• Sponsors (?)

No experience with them but I have Haggerty. I think they have a “cherished vehicle” clause which means of my car gets totaled, I get my agreed value plus the car.

There were certain driving restrictions in place. Car needed to be garaged. Needed a daily driver, and limited to 2k miles a year. The last one was my choosing as it reduced the premium a little to cap the mileage. 2k is generous as my car sees maybe 100-200 miles/year.

Also check on the restrictions as to where you can drive. Make sure you get it in writing. I found out that I cannot run errands with my car. Need to go to Home Depot? Can’t take the fox. Needs to be pleasure driving only.

Reactions: 2 users
No experience with them but I have Haggerty. I think they have a “cherished vehicle” clause which means of my car gets totaled, I get my agreed value plus the car.

There were certain driving restrictions in place. Car needed to be garaged. Needed a daily driver, and limited to 2k miles a year. The last one was my choosing as it reduced the premium a little to cap the mileage. 2k is generous as my car sees maybe 100-200 miles/year.

Also check on the restrictions as to where you can drive. Make sure you get it in writing. I found out that I cannot run errands with my car. Need to go to Home Depot? Can’t take the fox. Needs to be pleasure driving only.
Grundy has some of those restrictions. I'm not sure how they would know where i was going ie: I was on the way to get gas not lowes. You definitely can't daily the car and have to have another for primary transportation. I think either is a good option over regular insurance who would total our cars with minimal damage.

. I'm not sure how they would know where i was going ie: I was on the way to get gas not lowes.
A friend of mine drove his 69 mustang to the store down the street for milk and bread one Sunday morning and an idiot pulled out in front of him. Car was totaled. The 'at fault' driver had no insurance and a suspended DL.
Hagerty would not pay.
As long as you don't have a wreck they won't know but :poo: happends.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No claims but have used American Collectors since 08 on my dodge...
Recently was able to put my BMW on the same type of coverage saving me around $600 a year for a car I drive around 700 miles annually..
The sad part is they sold out to Farmers or State Farm after my last policy sign up.... I will be looking for someone new when this policy ends....

Grundy has some of those restrictions. I'm not sure how they would know where i was going ie: I was on the way to get gas not lowes. You definitely can't daily the car and have to have another for primary transportation. I think either is a good option over regular insurance who would total our cars with minimal damage.

One of those things where it depends on the circumstances.

Accident on a main road? "I was on my way to a car show"

Accident in the parking lot of a Home Depot? "There was a car show at Home Depot that I was going to" :shrug: :shrug:

No idea if that will work, but i'm willing to guess the circumstances will dictate whether they believe the vehicle was being used for errands, vs pleasure driving.

Reactions: 1 users
Why not just tell them what you plan to use it for. I have mine with Hagerty. I can not use it as a daily driver but not limited to "driving to shows" only. I realize my premium is not as cheap as some, but better to be covered than chance it not being covered.

Think about it, some spend 10s of thousands on our cars yet try to skimp and save $100 on lower coverage.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Grundy here. I priced Hagerty as well, but Grundy was half the price for the exact same coverage. I have $28K agreed upon value with zero deductible. It was $374 for the first year, but they dropped it to $224 for the next year after that. Their customer service is great, but I have not had a claim with them.

I can drive the car for 7500 miles a year (which I drive about 4000-5000 miles per year), but they have yet to ask for odometer readings.

I’ll be increasing the coverage after getting the blower on the car, but I don’t think it’ll go up much.

Collector Car insurance has always been a loose market. I have had my car on collector's car insurance for 2 decades. I was on Grundy at first, and the I found Infinity Insurance. Unfortunately Infinity pulled out of my State and sold my policy to Hagerty. I don't like the "no racing" clauses. If you aren't covering my car on the racetrack, then why do you care if I bring it there.

Kurt

Collector Car insurance has always been a loose market. I have had my car on collector's car insurance for 2 decades. I was on Grundy at first, and the I found Infinity Insurance. Unfortunately Infinity pulled out of my State and sold my policy to Hagerty. I don't like the "no racing" clauses. If you aren't covering my car on the racetrack, then why do you care if I bring it there.

Kurt
A lot of the classic insurance policies will cover a car In the pits, or at the track, but not while actually ON the track. You can get policies which will cover on track, but they’re closer to the $3500+ range for the year and they have much higher ($2000+) deductibles.

They’ll really have no way of actually knowing if you race the car, unless you just flat out tell them. They just won’t cover damages if it happens on a track.

Having lost 2 separate cars I spent a lot of time and money on, both of which happened while on a public road. It was a no brainer to get the classic insurance. I just wish I did it sooner.

Where can I find the restrictions that Grundy has? I rarely drive my car but do like to take it out for a cruise every once in a while and drive it to work every couple of months. I'd probably put less than 2K miles a year on it.