GT-40 Intake

nandoGdog

Feb 18, 2004
Stockton CA
Hey guys I'm just wondering what would a very nice gt-40 intake sell for nowdays? I know theyre pretty much "outdated" and there are better flowing intakes on the market but I must say the gt-40 was perhaps the prettiest looking intake ever.

• Sponsors (?)

$300.00 seems kinda low considering they went for $600.00 brand new back in the day and they are no longer being made. Well at least the upper is unavailable brand new I know you can still get the cobra lower but what's this I hear about them being made in china?

i'm guessing you're talking about the tubular intake? i LOVE the look. and they flow decent. they are usually going for a pretty steep price though. in good shape, around $400 would be a good deal, i think. i've seen them go for over $600

They routinely trade on eBay for $500+. My wife was lucky enough to find an unused one on our local Craigslist for $350 and got it for me for Christmas.

I didnt know the tubular upper was still in production, if I had the chance I'd replace my Explorer upper with a tubular, but it would be kind of pointless performance wise. As far as a non-chinese lower you could get an Explorer lower with the EGR hole.

Made in china

I'm sorry but I've been out of the five liter scene for a while. So what is this I hear about Cobra intakes being made in China? Does that mean that if someone has a GT-40 intake for sale the upper is the only thing that has any resale value? And what is the difference betwen a U.S. made Cobra lower and a Chinese made one?

Ford discontinued the Cobra Intake kit. I beleive they did it in 2003 since a manufacturer is only legally required to make parts for a car for 10 years. 2003 was 10 years for the '93 Cobra.

However, since Ford knew it had a cash cow, it outsourced the intake to a company in china who now makes it. So any brand new upper or lower cobra intakes after 2003 are of chinese origin.

Oh i've i've routinely seen GT-40 uppers sell for $400. I've been trying to get one myself :(

So what is the differance if any in the chinese Cobra vs. the U.S. made one?
Quality wise I know china has a bad rap but if they are being made on the same tooling why not?

The Chicom piece causes your car to suck oil like mad. They have a "fix" for it, but it didn't fix it completely for me. It seems that the more modded your engine, the worse the problem with oil consumption is. I ended up dumping mine when I got the GT40.

Hey guys I'm just wondering what would a very nice gt-40 intake sell for nowdays? I know theyre pretty much "outdated" and there are better flowing intakes on the market but I must say the gt-40 was perhaps the prettiest looking intake ever.

For a street driven 302, its actually really hard to beat performance-wise. Anything bigger (331,347,351, etc) will start to choke, but a good port job on the lower can make it a badass intake for the smaller engines.

Like everyone else is saying, 400$ + for just the upper can be expected. Lowers can be had for really cheap (<100$), sine its the same casting for Cobras, Explorers, and GT-40s. Just make sure you get one with a ACT sensor boss on the front runner.