GT to Cobra rear brake conversion

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I have a 96 GT and I'm putting on Cobra brakes in the back. I already have the calipers, brackets, rotors. What do I need to do the conversion. I heard you have to pull the axles or something like that. Are there detailed instructions anywhere? Let me know anyone who has done it. I'm sure several of you have.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks a lot. I have another question though. My problem is that my caliper has seized to the rotor so it makes this grinding noise. Can I just replace my GT caliper with the cobra caliper if the only difference is the rotor?

Well, I've done the conversion also, and am running rear Cobra brakes along with the front 2000 Cobra R Bremo kit.

I would not just change calipers if they are frozen, because you might have other problems. You really don't have to buy new calipers, because the rear brake setups are the same, except that the Cobra brackets are hogged out to accept the larger width (vented) rotors. The pads are the same, except that the Cobra pads are thinner to accommodate using the same bracket with the thicker rotor.

Look at my picture from my install (its the second pic in my thread on MD)

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54026&highlight=Bullitt+suspension

It's the shiny black part surrounding the caliper.

Hope this is clear.

Matt

GToddyT5 said:
I don't trust myself to pull the diff cover off. I had enough trouble when I did the fronts. So you're saying I can't just swap the calipers?

Nope, the backing plates are different. They allow the calipers to be mounted farther from the axle, thus allowing for the larger diameter rotor. You have to take the diff cover off to get to the differential to unlock the axles so you can slide them out to take those backing plates off. Otherwise you cannot do the conversion.

Matt

I dunno what I should do. I have the Cobra rotors and calipers but not the brackets. A new GT caliper is gonna cost me about $100 bucks. How much should I pay a shop to do the Cobra conversion for me?

GToddyT5 said:
So you're saying I can't just swap the calipers?

i have the bullit rear calipers on my gt....they are the same as cobra/gt. You can't install the 11.65 in rear rotors without the mounting brackets...but you can install the calipers since they are the same. I bought the entire package but didn't realize the axles needed to be removed to install the brackets so i just popped on the calipers to match my bullit fronts. Been almost a year with no problems....you need GT pads though.

03trubluGT said:
Well, I've done the conversion also, and am running rear Cobra brakes along with the front 2000 Cobra R Bremo kit.

im planning on getting the Cobra R front brakes and i need to know what wheels you are running. i know the kit is supposed to require 18" wheels, but there are some 17s that will clear. do you know, or know anyone that does know if the 96-98 5/10spoke 17x8s will clear the brembos. this will save me a good amount of money. i already bought some FR500s but i would like to stick with a 17" wheel for tire cost. planning on running Michelin Pilots for street tires so cost consideration is at a premium.

bdcardinal said:
im planning on getting the Cobra R front brakes and i need to know what wheels you are running. i know the kit is supposed to require 18" wheels, but there are some 17s that will clear. do you know, or know anyone that does know if the 96-98 5/10spoke 17x8s will clear the brembos. this will save me a good amount of money. i already bought some FR500s but i would like to stick with a 17" wheel for tire cost. planning on running Michelin Pilots for street tires so cost consideration is at a premium.

Try this link:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/brembo.asp

There is also a template that you can print on that page.

I'm running 03 Cobra wheels

http://forums.modulardepot.com/flyshow.php?&s=&showid=237

I also stayed with 17" wheels to save on tires.

Matt

GToddyT5 said:
OK, I figured out what my problem is. One of my caliper pins is seized. I could not get it out. Anything I can try other than torching it?

Try soaking it with WD40. Then come back in a couple of hours and hit it again. Then try her a third or fourth soaking and whack it with a punch and BFH (Big F***** Hammer).

Matt