GT350 Hood Fitment

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hopefully I'm not :dead:.

I would like to put one of these hoods on my car but have heard horror stories as to the fitment. I get it that a little sanding is required on most FG parts but I certainly don't want to buy one and then have to add 3/4" length to it as some have needed to do. Can anyone comment on a reliable vendor to get these from? NPD maybe???? I'm thinking of the FG with the steel frame version.

Thanks in advance all!!

• Sponsors (?)

the last couple i have bought were from stang-ahloics. they are very heavy made and fit quite well. i have used about 5 of them and no issues.never had to use any bondo just a good block sanding. just recently bought one for my nephews 64 1/2 and a buddies 65 fast back along with a R model valance. they follow the fenders very well.
they are fiberglass top and bottom. i have had bad luck with the ones with metal under structure .fiber glass and steel expand differently at different temps and sooner or later the bond will fail .the hood in the pics is just setting in place not bolted and it looks great
IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG

I know that seems like a lot of money, but if you do what I did and buy a hood that doesn't fit just because you'll save on shipping, that $225 is gonna seem like a steal. I bought a Maier because I could pick it up locally and it was not a good choice, to be nice about it. Buy the best and you only cry once.

I know that seems like a lot of money, but if you do what I did and buy a hood that doesn't fit just because you'll save on shipping, that $225 is gonna seem like a steal. I bought a Maier because I could pick it up locally and it was not a good choice, to be nice about it. Buy the best and you only cry once.
Words of wisdom for sure. When there's quite a bit left to do such as media blast, wiring, motor, interior, paint etc that $225 seems like a ton though.Comments noted though as you are definately correct.

I think the shipping is so expensive b/c I use a parcel pick up company just over the border in Point Roberts USA. Point Roberts is a peninsula in the USA that can only be accessed via boat or through Canada via road. Usually not an issue for most items but the hood is oversize so it's difficult. I'm going to try another shipping company that's not on the peninsula. That will hopefully help alot with the $$.

Hey, I can totally relate to your situation. I was in the exact same boat when I built mine. I promised the wife I'd stick to my budget (she's been down the "out-of-control-expenses" thing before with my cars) and to do so, I had to really search out every angle I could, right from the start. Before I ever ordered the first part, I made a list of what I needed and price-shopped it to death. If I had bought the best stuff on the market, my car wouldn't have been built. That's the nice thing about fiberglass, if you are willing and able to make it fit with sweat equity and time, you can save money. But if you're paying someone, you'll really be better off to buy good stuff as opposed to the stuff I used. I think you're being very smart with your money right now and that's a great way to make sure your car gets finished within your budget.

you are right on there ,body work is expensive and can add to the expenses very quickly and thats the main reason i learned to do it my self .i try to hunt down the best pieces i can get ,just to avoid body work. i can do it but i hate it. if you can do it your self all the beter but if you have to pay to have it done the cost of the part can double

I actually like body and paint work. Good thing, too because I can't afford to pay people to do it! A lot of the car guys in my area are customers of a local shop and I honestly don't know how they do it. For instance one friend paid $17K just to get his '67 coupe painted! They had to replace both quarters, the taillight panel, trunk lid, doors and hood, as well as block it and paint it. By the time the guy was finished, he had $45K in his car. Is it THAT nice? No, just expensive. Another customer wanted a cowl hood on his fastback and the shop charged him $1200 just to get the hood to fit right! By comparison, I spent about $20 in fiberglass, resin and filler to get my hood right, plus a few hours in labor. My time is cheap, I give myself a really good deal on labor. Last time I added up my receipts, I had less than $22K in the whole car and that included the $7200 purchase price of the car. I know that's still a lot of money for a hobby, but in reality it's half of what my buddy paid in body and paint from a pro shop. Plus his car sits because he chose a beautiful, custom-mixed candy blue and he's afraid it'll get marred by driving it and the painter already warned him he probably couldn't match the paint. There is a downside to doing your own bodywork and that is that all your buddies think you have nothing better to do than paint their crap for a 6-pack and a thank you.

I actually like body and paint work. Good thing, too because I can't afford to pay people to do it! A lot of the car guys in my area are customers of a local shop and I honestly don't know how they do it. For instance one friend paid $17K just to get his '67 coupe painted! They had to replace both quarters, the taillight panel, trunk lid, doors and hood, as well as block it and paint it. By the time the guy was finished, he had $45K in his car. Is it THAT nice? No, just expensive. Another customer wanted a cowl hood on his fastback and the shop charged him $1200 just to get the hood to fit right! By comparison, I spent about $20 in fiberglass, resin and filler to get my hood right, plus a few hours in labor. My time is cheap, I give myself a really good deal on labor. Last time I added up my receipts, I had less than $22K in the whole car and that included the $7200 purchase price of the car. I know that's still a lot of money for a hobby, but in reality it's half of what my buddy paid in body and paint from a pro shop. Plus his car sits because he chose a beautiful, custom-mixed candy blue and he's afraid it'll get marred by driving it and the painter already warned him he probably couldn't match the paint. There is a downside to doing your own bodywork and that is that all your buddies think you have nothing better to do than paint their crap for a 6-pack and a thank you.
You and horse are right up my alley. I can't afford to have someone else do it (don't think I could pay someone for something I can do myself). Doesn't mean it's always perfect but then I want a driver not a trailer queen. It will look pretty darn nice and I'll be able to say I did it myself. I was laughing out loud at your 'pricing everything' comment...parallel worlds. I do so much of it it drive me crazy not to mention my wife. I think I would pay the bucks for the better hood though b/c it's such an obvious part of the car and if it's too shoddy it'll stand out like a sore thumb. I think there are certain things that warranty the extra dollars. My wife might argue that though.

i actually love to do sheet metal replacement, and painting doesnt bother me either. it is bondo i hate. if there is any way for me not to use it thats for me .and i am with you on doing it your self. there is nothing more satisfying than some one asking you who did your work and you can say i did. and i have seen some high dollar jobs that are no better than i could have done my self,and saved a fortune.

Reactions: 1 user
I got lucky found a local guy who makes them..picked it up brand new for under $300 New..fit is great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361505510582.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361505510582.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361505522879.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361505522879.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 101
I have the Stangoholics hood and while it is dimensionally correct (as in I didn`t have to add to or take away from the size), it has some weird bows in it I haven`t gotten out yet. It rides high on the passenger side next to the fender, but only about 12 inches of it. At the back it falls in the middle of the cowl, I tried bracing it up and leaving it in the hot sun didn`t help much. I`m for sure not saying its bad glass, because its probably better than most, but mine just appears it may have been pulled from the mold prematurely before it setup maybe, not really sure.

what are the top of your fender approns like? they should have a even arch were the fender sets . i have had to bend them up or down in places to make the correct alighnment. that spot gets bent easily with the fenders off ,just by leaning over them.
if it is only a short spot bending it up may help.