GT40p Heads

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
I posted this in another thread I had and that's probably confusing to someone who hasn't ever opened it before, so I started a new thread. Anyways, I saw some GT40p heads on Craigslist this morning for $400. I'm thinking with the upgraded springs that will have to be added to that price and whatever a machine shop charges to go through them that it may not be worth it at $400. I seem to remember something had to be done with the headers when installing these. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• GT40 heads.PNG
    GT40 heads.PNG
    226.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

If those are off the truck, i wouldn't pay $400.

The upgraded springs alone are $150-200ish

The spark plug angle makes header application tricky. Typically you just need to run 90* boots on two cylinders. I forget which ones.

Pretty common upgrade, i just don't think i'd pay that for them. I know prices are up on everything, but pre-covid i had a set for sale for $100 and couldn't move them.

Save a few bucks more for some aluminium heads, the Ps work good with the upgrades but not much room for spark plug boots, shorty headers clear better than long tube headers.
i've had a set that I bought new years ago, I'm using them on the Junk Pile.

P heads I wouldn’t pay more than $250, unless they come with rockers and have aftermarket valve springs already installed. If you can talk him to $250 I’d slap some valve springs on them and put them on a car. Tfs makes a drop in set.

5L5 is correct in you have to use a couple 90* plug boots and terminals, so keep that in mind. Bbk Long tube headers are what I used on a customer car, and I had to use 2 or 3 of them. Not a big deal if you’ve got a plug terminal crimper.

Standard gt40s go for around $400, but the p’s are less valuable.

Thanks for your insight guys. He said he would take $300 but Ill probably go with the Generals suggestion. I think Ill have the time and money to spend on that car next year. Im eager to start doing some big time upgrades.

Keep looking. They can be had cheaper.

Hell, I’d throw $200 just for the regular gt40s here

3699F4E8-7C1A-44A3-8AA4-4DCEAEB966D7.jpeg

What’s the scope of your project? What are your goals? Gt40p are perfectly fine depending on your needs. The thing with going with better heads is now you start looking around at your other parts and deciding to upgrade those as well. Before you know it your cheap gt40p combo has now ballooned into a $10k 347 build. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I know there's a lot that goes into an engine build besides the heads. Im aware that the speed density cars may not like changes like that, so I know I might have to convert to mass air at least. Im not looking for a 350hp car, just something that makes the car a little more on point. I have had an Explorer upper and lower sitting on my shelf for a couple years now. @Mustang5L5, I think you had mentioned in the past that a buddy of yours had a car that was built with those heads or something similar, with either an Explorer upper and lower intake and maybe a alphabet cam? You mentioned it was a really fun car. Im not looking to break the bank here, although building an engine with the high quality performance parts you went with is appetizing. I like the idea of more of an old school, all Ford parts build for some reason.

It was:

GT-40P heads
B-303 cam
Cobra Intake
headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters
stock 3.08 gears (don't remember if they got change later)
Might be some other stuff like an E-fan and larger MAF

Was a fun, basic street combo with enough power to keep you entertained. The B-cam did like to be revved over 3000RPM and pulled hard all the way to redline. I don't recall if he changed the gears to 3.55's later.

Reactions: 2 users
Im thinking thats something Id like to go with. I know the B Cam does get a lot of grief, not exactly sure why though. Ive read some conflicting things about that cam..

Last edited:
Im thinking thats something Id like to go with. I know the B Cam does get a lot of grief, not exactly sure why though. Ive read some conflicting things about that cam..

well, this was 20 years ago. a lot has changed and there are better cams.

There is even a line of specific GT40 cams/springs/hardware/pushrods availble from FTI.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Wonder if they're custom or "custom" :chin

"GT40-KR-B" custom camshaft kits include:

• GT40 "KR-B" Billet Steel, "Custom" Roller Camshaft
  • FTI Beehive Valve Spring Package - .580" max
  • One-piece, Hardened Push Rods - 6.300" long (*)
  • ARP Camshaft Bolt & Washer Kit
Either way though, they're definitely "budget" oriented. ;)

Send that Explorer lower to TMoss and get it ported. He did my Cobra lower and for the money it was the best upgrade. This was on a 302 with ported and polished ‘69 DOZZ heads so basically GT40 heads. I did have a Comp Cam in it but I cannot remember the specs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user