GT500 spoiler vs stock GT (functionality question)

blackraven

Aug 19, 2006
Trenton, NJ
Can anyone who switched from a stock GT spoiler to the GT500 design speak towards it's increased (or decreased) functionality? I would assume the GT500 would get needed added down force, but was wondering if it can really be felt between the two?

• Sponsors (?)

The stock GT spoiler looks, at a glance, completely useless. I would not think that it generates significant downforce. I wouldn't think that the GT500 spoiler is much better, but being it's a ducktail like design it should create more downforce. As to if it's noticeable, i doubt it.
Dan

I would think the speeds required for either of these spoilers to have any functionality would be pretty high and not what we would usually be driving. They are largely a personal styling choice. I have the Shelby on mine and love the look compared to the stock.

Under 150MPH, the difference would be negligible. It's all about looks until then. And at the point to where it would make a difference, you would want a totally different type of wing.

I agree that under a certain speed it won't be any issue at all comparing the OEM, GT500 or spoiler delete as far as aerodynamic help. IMO, the OEM spoiler just looks dated and doesn't really suit the S197 at all. As Dark was stating, if you wanted a functional rear wing, the Roush Trak Pak wing is it as it is not only functional, but adjustable...FUGLY, but it works! Same as the Steeda wing as both are track tested and raced.

Well, the GT500 spoiler is sitting by my door as I type this (it arrived over lunch...argh, still stuck at work). I choose it for the aesthetic appeal but was curious as the day passed on & I had visions of spoilers dancing through my head.

I wouldn't even worry about whether it's functional or not. It just looks damn good! It follow the lines of the S197 much better with its flush mount. I like it better than the ducktail's "ass in the air" look. And the Roush wing is just too over the top for my liking. This IS the perfect spoiler for this car, performance nonwithstanding.

P1000370.jpg

Awww yea! Installed in about an hour or so's time...getting the old adhesive off took the longest part of the whole job. Sun was already down by the time I cleaned up, so no photos tonight, but tomorrow, it's on! Definitely makes the car.

:nice: That spoiler looks way better than the stock "wing"! I am planning the same for mine, where did you all order yours from? Also, did you paint your or get it pre-painted.

Thanks!

i went with the Ford 500 wing. so i had to have it painted. but no regrets. i am always a little weary of aftermarket spoilers that come prepainted for $130. especially when the ford wing is over 200 unpainted. for me having painted by my local shop ensures that the paint matches. my guy (who is a friend of mine and big car guy so i am not worried about a line of BS especially when he shows we the paint book) anyway for my redfire there where three different mixes that ford used and the redfire is a tricoat color. basically i was able to get mine painted (and it matches and wouldnt have to worry about quality of the paint of the quality of the part. my past experince with aftermarket fit/finish and quality is that is almost always cheaper to do it right the first time rather than doing 2-3 times with teh "cheaper" alternative. i am probably in the minority in that thought.

I agree, I don't think you'll go fast enough to really make them truly efficient. Though the GT500 one is much nicer looking.

Question for those of you that have gotten a GT500 spoiler:
Where did you get it? Is it a replica or the real thing (ie, does it use just 2 of the original hole or all 4 original holes?)

I ask because I want to order one. I got one for my V6 a while back from Atlanta Mustang that was just a replica and just used 2 holes but I would really like one that used all 4, though not required. Also, have any of you bought yours from SpoilerSource.com? they are the cheapest painted spoiler and it looks good cause it has a 5 year dupot warrenty.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread! Please forgive me!

Mine is the 3D Carbon GT500 spoiler and uses 2 holes with 3M adhesive pretty much all the way around. I got it from Atlanta Mustang prepainted just over a year ago and it matches perfectly and the paint is flawless:nice: Also haven't had any issues with it wanting to come off.