• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Guage Cluster

  • Thread starter Thread starter rotorhead22
  • Start date Start date Jun 21, 2021

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 21, 2021
#1
  • Jun 21, 2021
  • #1
And the fun just keeps on coming. I discovered that my alternator upgrade wasnt work and following the troubleshooting chart that is posted on Stangnet, I removed the guage cluster to find a complete mess of burnt copper ribbon and what not. So I guess the car is telling me to install the new cluster from New Vintage gauges. Better than fuel problems.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7500.webp
    223.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7503.webp
    123.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7504.webp
    220.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7505.webp
    146.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7506.webp
    316 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7507.webp
    225.5 KB · Views: 174

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,321
18,048
224
Massachusetts
Jun 21, 2021
#2
  • Jun 21, 2021
  • #2
Definitely a wiring mess back there.

You can repair the ribbon cable by soldering a jumper. If it's busted in a few spots, buy a used 4 cyl cluster from the same year span. You can use the ribbon cable off that. Other than the tach and speedometer it's the same stuff. Nice to have some spare components as well.

Of course, the other wires needs to be fixes as well such as that loose white wire. Who knows what the red wire tapped into the voltage pin on the reverse was being used for
 
Reactions: rotorhead22

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Jun 21, 2021
#3
  • Jun 21, 2021
  • #3
you can find tons of clusters for sale for $100 to $140
 
Reactions: rotorhead22

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 22, 2021
#4
  • Jun 22, 2021
  • #4
The guy I bought the car from had this he just never installed it. I was procrastinating on tackling this however it’s unavoidable now
 

Attachments

  • 2EC41C54-3539-4673-84CB-8D0FE7EE419E.webp
    283.9 KB · Views: 149
  • AE47D11E-19B4-4636-8BD4-9561E8140026.webp
    217.8 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: Ryuk and General karthief

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,321
18,048
224
Massachusetts
Jun 22, 2021
#5
  • Jun 22, 2021
  • #5
That will get it done for sure. Nice setup
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 22, 2021
#6
  • Jun 22, 2021
  • #6
So after studying the wire schematic for the stock cluster panel I am left scratching my head as to why the red/light green coil wire is connected to the cluster panel? I know that I need to jump the green/red wire for the alternator but why the coil connection
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Jun 22, 2021
#7
  • Jun 22, 2021
  • #7
rotorhead22 said:
So after studying the wire schematic for the stock cluster panel I am left scratching my head as to why the red/light green coil wire is connected to the cluster panel? I know that I need to jump the green/red wire for the alternator but why the coil connection
Click to expand...
the pinouts are different form 87 to 89 and 90 to 93 . When I did mine on my 90 i think i jumped 2 to 14 on the passenger side.. 87 to 89 jump 5 to 6 on the driver side connector. #5 is the coil/batt pin. If memory serves me right its a 50ohm? resistor inline to simulate the check engine light resistance.



 
Reactions: General karthief and rotorhead22

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 23, 2021
#8
  • Jun 23, 2021
  • #8
After reviewing the diagrams and gauges again, I failed to realize that the red/light green wire goes to the "I (ignition)" post on each gauge for switched power. Sometimes you just have to step away from it and come back later.
 
G

George7

Member
Feb 14, 2015
24
7
13
Durham, NC
Jun 27, 2021
#9
  • Jun 27, 2021
  • #9
You should keep the slosh module from your old gauge cluster. I believe there are rebuilders and buyers on Ebay for them. Unless the new gauge needs the Ford OEM module. They are easy to remove.
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 27, 2021
#10
  • Jun 27, 2021
  • #10
George7 said:
You should keep the slosh module from your old gauge cluster. I believe there are rebuilders and buyers on Ebay for them. Unless the new gauge needs the Ford OEM module. They are easy to remove.
Click to expand...
I saw that on the schematic and will remove it because there is no connection for it on the aftermarket setup
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jul 31, 2021
#11
  • Jul 31, 2021
  • #11
So after connecting the light green/red and the red/green wires I discovered that my 3g alternator wasn't charging and after a few days of multimeter work I found out that the new voltage regulator was fried. The money pit got deeper
 
Reactions: General karthief

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 1, 2021
#12
  • Aug 1, 2021
  • #12
rotorhead22 said:
So after connecting the light green/red and the red/green wires I discovered that my 3g alternator wasn't charging and after a few days of multimeter work I found out that the new voltage regulator was fried. The money pit got deeper
Click to expand...

You have to put a resistor between the two wires; can't just be connected. If you look at the printed circuit on your factory instrument cluster there should be a resistor on the alternator circuit. That's to bypass the light bulb if it blows so that your alternator continues to charge. Just rip that resistor out of the printed circuit and use it. If you didn't have a resistor there, it's possible that's what caused your voltage regulator to fail.

Kurt
 
Reactions: rotorhead22

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Aug 1, 2021
#13
  • Aug 1, 2021
  • #13
I know which one you are referencing so I will read the bands and get a new one
 
Reactions: revhead347
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
168
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
Electrical Oil Pressure Gauge IN Dash Cluster Unresponsive
  • Nine Finger Wrenching
  • Jan 7, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 8, 2025
85GTStangGuy
S
79-86 Mustang Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR)
  • sparkylawdog
  • Sep 30, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
482
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 16, 2024
Rcdgl
R
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
344
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Progress Thread Progress Thread- From6to8's 1994 Cobra Supercharger install
  • from6to8
  • Sep 25, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 20 21 22
Replies
420
Views
10K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 6, 2026
from6to8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?