Gutting my cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

me i wouldent worry about gutting it i would just replace it with a pipe and save the cat if you have to pass inspection thats what im going to do but were im at i dont have to worry about inspection. to me it just seems like more work to gut it. this weekend i might replace the cat on my car with a new pipe and some clamps also i dont have the 2nd cat. thats just my 2 cents on what you should do

I AGREE!!!!!!!
Here is the skinny, in the tech there is a post on how to just as you are asking, this will pass ythe visual inspection for cops and the what not for a Vehicle Emmissions Testing BUT it will not pass the meter. NOW if you dont have VET or dont care cut it out and replace it with a pipe, and Drive on.

to gut the cat

Cats are there for a reason and should never be removed for street use.

Now ethically if one was to gut the cat. He or she could use a large speed bore bit like a 1" with an extension so they could get up into the pipe. Let her rip untill the grinding stops and vacume out the peices. beat the crap out of the cat and repeat this will dilodge any big peices. vacume again and you should be good. Get out all the goodies inside because if it clogs up in the muffler you will know shortly. No I would have no first hand experience with such a practice as since NY requires cats visual and snif testing. But If you can locate a "quality" inspection station you will be supprised to see what passes.

LOL.

NY Eric said:
Cats are there for a reason and should never be removed for street use.

Now ethically if one was to gut the cat. He or she could use a large speed bore bit like a 1" with an extension so they could get up into the pipe. Let her rip untill the grinding stops and vacume out the peices. beat the crap out of the cat and repeat this will dilodge any big peices. vacume again and you should be good. Get out all the goodies inside because if it clogs up in the muffler you will know shortly. No I would have no first hand experience with such a practice as since NY requires cats visual and snif testing. But If you can locate a "quality" inspection station you will be supprised to see what passes.

LOL.

There's no emissions testing in NY.

You ain't gonna gut a stock mid-pipe, the cats have pipes welded to them that are weird angles and you can't really poke anything in there too well.

Just build a 2-1/4" street legal midpipe. A replacement catalytic converter is what, a whopping 56 bucks? And the bigger ones you can get will not pose enough exhaust restriction to cost more than 1-2hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.