H-pipe Install

nullsetzero

Jun 10, 2013
I've been out of the game for quite some time... had a heavily modded 87LX about 10 years ago and somehow all my tools walked away.

Just bought a 1990 Notch and will be installing a used h-pipe asap. My question is...

Does anyone have a tools list of what socket sizes, wrench sizes, universal joints, extensions etc I'll need to install the h-pipe, O2 Sensors?

I know this is basic stuff, but I'm building my toolbox back up from what it used to be and I want to get this show on the road!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to say, you did not mention whether or not the exhaust is completely stock at this point or not. A typical metric/standard mix of sockets with a 3/8" ratchet, mix of wrenches, and a few extensions should serve you well though I'd say.

I know the 02's are 7/8" because I just changed mine. I would highly recommend a 02 socket from the parts store for under $10. I couldn't break mine free with just a wrench and it wanted to round off, but the socket bit great and allowed me to use long handled ratchet for leverage.

I know the 02's are 7/8" because I just changed mine. I would highly recommend a 02 socket from the parts store for under $10. I could break mine free with just a wrench and it wanted to round off, but the socket bit great and allowed me to use long handled ratchet for leverage.

I did my 02s last year had to use a bar over my ratchet and i sprayed wd on it a couple times the day before to get 02s off. 2 weeks ago i installed a new off road h pipe on my car what a pita, next time i find a lift to do it!. After the first nite on my back on garage floor i got the old one off, the next nite i put new h pipe up on the hangers and noticed the lineup to my headers were not even close. So after cutting the two hanger wires off h pipe i installed it total of 3 1/2 hours on my back came out good but never again without lift!

I needed heat to get my O2's out. Took the threads out with them unfortunately. Just ended up buying a new set. Get some anti seize on them when you put them back in...whatever you do!!!

You won't need to change U-Joints to change the H-pipe, but if you're just generally asking, you'll need a 12mm, 12-point wrench (and usually a hammer) to get the driveshaft bolts out.

You won't need to change U-Joints to change the H-pipe, but if you're just generally asking, you'll need a 12mm, 12-point wrench (and usually a hammer) to get the driveshaft bolts out.

Just did mine a few weeks ago...after no luck with the hammer method, I decided to take a 3ft crowbar under the car(with closed end wrench)with me. and after a few slips/skinned knuckles....managed to get the right angle down and worked like a charm....

If you are lucky, you can soak the O2 sensors with PB blaster for a few days and then they will come out. I had to heat them up a little and slap the air wrench and socket on them when then were hot and they finally came out. Definitely PITA without a lift.

just out of curiosity. what are the benefits to using an H-pipe or an X-pipe. is there a difference or is it just a what fits best? what kind of gains would a person hope to see by using this? is there a point of modification where this is necessary? or is this purely for exhaust scavenging benefits?

Just did mine a few weeks ago...after no luck with the hammer method, I decided to take a 3ft crowbar under the car(with closed end wrench)with me. and after a few slips/skinned knuckles....managed to get the right angle down and worked like a charm....

I put the box end of my 12mm wrench on the driveshaft bolt at the 4-5 o'clock position and use my floor jack to push up on the wrench - loosens bolts free in a second without breaking a sweat!

If you are lucky, you can soak the O2 sensors with PB blaster for a few days and then they will come out. I had to heat them up a little and slap the air wrench and socket on them when then were hot and they finally came out. Definitely PITA without a lift.

Yup, I forgot to mention that. I sprayed mine every time I walked through the garage for few days. I also let the car idle for 3-4 minutes right before I took them out so the pipes had some heat in them when I loosened the sensors - wear gloves for this!