Hard shifting into 1st gear

My new to me 91 5.0 GT grinds when shifting into first at a complete stop. If I push very slowly it will engage but I can feel the individual synchro gears as I am doing this. The trans was rebuilt about 40K ago. total of 122K on the drivetrain.

I have not had a chance to get it on the lift yet to check fluid level or cables etc...

Can someone point me in the right direction? Anything specific to this mark I should look for. I am totally new to Mustangs.

• Sponsors (?)

Come to a complete stop and push the clutch in. Count to 10, and then try to get into 1st gear. Does it go in? or does it still grind?

My thinking is the clutch disk is still grabbing slightly which is causing the grind issue. Try to adjust the cable. If you have the factory quadrant, grab the clutch pedal and pull up slightly. Then press it to the floor with your foot. If there was a click, the quadrant self-adjusted.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Okay. I got her on the lift today. Still can n to figure out how to post pics as they all are "too large?" Never had this problem on other forums. Anyway, I see a drain but not a fill on the gear box. Would it be the internal Torx on driver's side?

Also, what is the "factory quadtant"? I see a black box-like cover on the driver's side. Is it beneath this? Will try to upload pics

Here:

Attachments

• 5A8313B7-CB3C-41A1-9A35-F6EA84C20AD3.jpeg
    5A8313B7-CB3C-41A1-9A35-F6EA84C20AD3.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 52
The black box in the picture looks to be what is left of the clutch fork cover. The quadrant is connected to the clutch pedal under the dash. The factory ones are made from plastic. Aftermarket are made from aluminum typically.

Have you tried to pull up on the pedal and then press it to the floor as suggested above?

Ever since I put the carpet back in my 89 a couple weeks ago, my car is also hard to shift into 1st and grinds in other gears sometimes when I shift too quickly. My car still has a factory quadrant and clutch cable so there is no adjustment other than lift the pedal and pushing it to the floor. In my case, lifting the pedal does not adjust anything. I purchased a MM adjuster and quadrant but I have not had time to install it yet. I have the same adjuster and quadrant on my Saleen and am very happy with it.

Okay. I got her on the lift today. Still can n to figure out how to post pics as they all are "too large?" Never had this problem on other forums. Anyway, I see a drain but not a fill on the gear box. Would it be the internal Torx on driver's side?

Also, what is the "factory quadtant"? I see a black box-like cover on the driver's side. Is it beneath this? Will try to upload pics

Do not touch the Torx head bolt. That holds the 5-R shift lever. Removing that means trans needs to come out.

Drain and fill are on the pass side and accept a 3/8” or 1/2” drive rachet head.

As for pics. You need to reduce them down. What I do is take the pics I want to show and then bring them up on my phone. I then screen shot them, crop them to proper size and those will post.

The file size issue is temporary and will be fixed shortly

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users