• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Harmonic Balancer

  • Thread starter Thread starter wild70stang
  • Start date Start date Jan 6, 2006

wild70stang

New Member
Nov 11, 2005
317
0
0
Jan 6, 2006
#1
  • Jan 6, 2006
  • #1
Ok, I know about %90 of the parts on an engine(including inside). My questions is do all engines have a harmonic balancer or do u have to purchase an aftermarket 1? I do know they make a big difference in engine life and performance. If I have to buy an after market 1 what are the best brands?
 

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Jan 6, 2006
#2
  • Jan 6, 2006
  • #2
wild70stang said:
Ok, I know about %90 of the parts on an engine(including inside). My questions is do all engines have a harmonic balancer or do u have to purchase an aftermarket 1? I do know they make a big difference in engine life and performance. If I have to buy an after market 1 what are the best brands?
Click to expand...

I was in the market for a new balancer last year and solicited similar advice here. Those who know (302Coupe, D.Hearne, HueyPilot, LMan, et al) opined that unless one is routinely spinning at high rpms, a stock replacement balancer would be fine. At the end, I opted for a Summit brand, SFI approved, billet steel balancer only for the bling of it. Top brands include Romac and ATI. Ford Racing told me to stay the hell away from the Fluidampers. I guess the best answer is that it depends on your application. Even if you have a hot build, unless you are very often turning high rpms, you will prolly do just fine with a stock replacement and a summit or jegs house brand is up to the job.
 

65up2d8

Member
Mar 30, 2005
281
0
17
Memphis, TN
Jan 7, 2006
#3
  • Jan 7, 2006
  • #3
wild70stang said:
Ok, I know about %90 of the parts on an engine(including inside). My questions is do all engines have a harmonic balancer or do u have to purchase an aftermarket 1? I do know they make a big difference in engine life and performance. If I have to buy an after market 1 what are the best brands?
Click to expand...

Yes, all engines that are relevant to your question on this forum have a harmonic balancer.
 

LMan

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
1,246
0
0
Mom's basement
Jan 7, 2006
#4
  • Jan 7, 2006
  • #4
Yes, you need a balancer. Jerry did well with his selection, I would recommend you do something similar. You dont need a killer balancer, just a decent one. I'm not familiar with Fluidampr, so I cant comment there.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
1996 harmonic balancer crank bolt. Help!
  • Lost in Palm Bay
  • Jul 21, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
209
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jul 24, 2026
Lost in Palm Bay
L
L
95 gt engine vibration
  • lenzgt
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
6
Views
303
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 26, 2026
lenzgt
L
B
Acceleration Vibration
  • Blown02svt
  • Dec 31, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
739
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 5, 2026
General karthief
A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
169
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
D
Harmonic Balancer brand, weight?
  • dropteeth
  • Sep 15, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
269
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2025
revhead347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?