Has anybody tried this?

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
I put white face overlays on my 90, and now its hard to see the needles - white on white. I have a 96 gauge cluster laying around that has orange needles. Anyone know if the needles will fit on a fox cluster? If no one knows then I may find out for myself.

Just an idea.

• Sponsors (?)

Yup...with I did the gauges on my old Fox, I just took a razor blade and scraped the old white paint off the back of my stock needles, then used a little translucent red nail polish to repain them again. Turned out great. :nice:

just paint your neddles orange..thats what im gonna do in a few weeks...got to fix my gas gauge so why not.

That's a bad idea if the needle gets any kind of "light up" effect from the dash. I'm not sure off hand if those clusters do or not but you'd have to use a transparent paint or something.

I have painted my needles and the paint does not affect them what so ever. I went to a craft store and bought fluorescent "RED" paint. It looks like bright orange. I matches the needles on SVT cars and my Ford Racing gauges.

I used fine grit sandpaper to sand off the white on the back side of the needle. It is only on the back of the needle. then I painted the back of the needles with the new paint.

They look like original SVT orange needles. I do not have any at night pics, but take my work for it, they are very bright and orange at night.

This is the best pic I have right now. Not going out to the garage as it is absolutely FREEZING outside.

View attachment 330955

That's a bad idea if the needle gets any kind of "light up" effect from the dash. I'm not sure off hand if those clusters do or not but you'd have to use a transparent paint or something.

it dont matter for me i have the 03 cobra style gauges where the whole face of the gauge is lite up.

orange would make it so much easier for me to see durning the day ( white on white )

at night i can see them ok but orange would really make them pop.

pic.

View attachment 330947
88mustang2-2-08014-1.jpg

88mustangwhitefacegagues018-1.jpg

88mustangwhitefacegagues018-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• 88mustang2-2-08014.jpg
    88mustang2-2-08014.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 88mustang2-2-08014-1.jpg
    88mustang2-2-08014-1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 88mustangwhitefacegagues018-1.jpg
    88mustangwhitefacegagues018-1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 88mustangwhitefacegagues018-1-1.jpg
    88mustangwhitefacegagues018-1-1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 74
I have painted my needles and the paint does not affect them what so ever. I went to a craft store and bought fluorescent "RED" paint. It looks like bright orange. I matches the needles on SVT cars and my Ford Racing gauges.

I used fine grit sandpaper to sand off the white on the back side of the needle. It is only on the back of the needle. then I painted the back of the needles with the new paint.

They look like original SVT orange needles. I do not have any at night pics, but take my work for it, they are very bright and orange at night.

This is the best pic I have right now. Not going out to the garage as it is absolutely FREEZING outside.

View attachment 330943

That looks good, I may try that. That way I don't waste the needles from my 96 cluster and can at least get some money for the cluster on ebay.