Has anybody used a wet NOS system on a stock motor on a regular basis?

JJFIVEOH

Jun 10, 2003
Boca Raton, FL
I'm looking to step up my bracket car for the upcoming year. One of our local tracks is looking to split up our footbrake bracket class into Pro (10.00-13.99) and sportsman (13.00-slower). I currently run in the mid 14.2's during the heat of the winter. The sportsman level class is usually for beginners and pays out much less. I want to keep running Pro class since I am not new at this and also I am used to being the first car off the line and not the one chasing. The problem is Moroso runs 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile. According to the NHRA rulebook, their 1/8 mile equivalent to a 13.99 is 8.59. Which is not the case, but if our track goes with the 8.59 rule on the 1/8 mile nights, I will need considerably more to run 8.59. Basically, I need 3 tenths on a 1/4 mile night and a half second on 1/8 mile nights.

I am still trying to work on other options because I have never been a fan of nitrous oxide. I am trying to stay away from doing the H/C/I deal because we have a very short offseason and when I do a H/C/I, it will be on a different motor. If we had known about this earlier I could have done an engine swap with my short block in the garage. However, I need a quick fix. One of my options is a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM heads I can buy used from somebody, but they have the 2.02 valves which will not work on the stock pistons. Perhaps they would with a stock cam?

Anyways, another option I am thinking about is the wet system NOS offers. I don't want to use a dry system to give me just enough to get by, because if I do use NOS I want to do it right and make it worthwhile. So I am considering this system. The smallest shot this system offers is a 150 HP shot. Has anybody consistently used this setup on a stock motor without and adverse affects? I know it could handle it, but I am concerned about regular usage. The car sees 300-350 passes a year, and if I do use this system, half of those runs will be with nitrous. I race 2 tracks for brackets, the other track does not have an ET limit, so I would run on motor only there.

Would this be safe? Any other suggestions are welcome too.:D Thanks in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

The nitrous shot should be good on a stock engine due to the fact you have good pistons in the car already. You will want to have the timing knocked back a few degrees. probably 2 degrees for every 50 hp shot. Also run good octane gas. Detonation is your enemy.

Whitch wet kit are you looking at?

If your looking that the big shot plate,thats a great kit,because it eliminate fuel puddling and also allows for runing more juice later.

If your looking at a single nozzel injector at the throttle body inlet,consider a 150hp shot your MAX. And dont spray below 3500rpm's and only at full throttle.

Also, we should talk sometime about a bracket car Im building,lol.

What kind of bracket car are you looking to build? What combo?

I was thinking of the plate kit. I'm still leery about it though only because I don't like nitrous. I'm going to have to wait and see what the ET limits are going to be set at. I was just trying to get some opinions beforehand just in case.

What kind of bracket car are you looking to build? What combo?

I was thinking of the plate kit. I'm still leery about it though only because I don't like nitrous. I'm going to have to wait and see what the ET limits are going to be set at. I was just trying to get some opinions beforehand just in case.

I would like to run Super Pro,but Pro is ok with me,most likely with electronics (witch would also mean I would have to run Pro Combo with dragsters and stuff). I got a stripped down 89' (very light) coupe,dunno what combos going in it quite yet,but its gunna be run on methanol so it should be consistant.

And dont be scared about nitrous,its very safe and wont damage your motor if you set-up up properly. And it also wont mess up your consistancy so long as you keep a full bottle in there (swap bottles after 4 runs in the 8th with a heater).

Blue, sorry I didn't respond sooner. Been busy. You don't want to run Super Pro. IMO it is boring. Running a footbrake class is more gratifying when you go rounds because it means you did something right. In Super Pro, most of the time it is a matter of sometimes thousandths of a second. Of course in most cases it is also in footbrake too, but every race in Super Pro is like that. If you know how to drive, running Super Pro does not allow for the talent to show as much as running footbrake does. When you run Super Pro, you let go of a button on the first yellow, hit the gas and hold on. No shifting, no making sure the car can hold the R's at the starting line, no anticipating the light.... it may be tougher, but it gives you more satisfaction when you win. Then again, that's just my 2 cents, lol.

I had a stock shortblock, ported E7 headed, AOD car than ran 13.4 N/A and 11.8 on a 150 shot. I used about 2 bottles a week for about 10 months a year for 2-3 years like this. It was just a weekend cruiser so it maybe saw 30k miles total during that time (I drive over 30k per year total). I usually left it jetted at 175hp. I've sprayed as much as 250hp though a Shark nozzle. I've done it many times with no ill effects.

I've sprayed 200+hp through a nozzle on a 250+k mile stock motor. I've done many times also. The car went 12.9 N/A and 11.teens on a 225hp shot. It was a close to stock SD car. This car was bought by my friend with ~60k on it in 1994. It had nitrous on it when he bought it (old Compucar kit). I bought it from me a couple of years ago. I sold it in November 2005 with 263k on it. The original motor was replaced because it was burning oil with 256k on it.

I don't buy into the "don't ever spray more than 150hp through a nozzle" rule. But I also own a business that exclusively deals with nitrous. Nitrous is not just a hobby to me.

Blue, sorry I didn't respond sooner. Been busy. You don't want to run Super Pro. IMO it is boring. Running a footbrake class is more gratifying when you go rounds because it means you did something right. In Super Pro, most of the time it is a matter of sometimes thousandths of a second. Of course in most cases it is also in footbrake too, but every race in Super Pro is like that. If you know how to drive, running Super Pro does not allow for the talent to show as much as running footbrake does. When you run Super Pro, you let go of a button on the first yellow, hit the gas and hold on. No shifting, no making sure the car can hold the R's at the starting line, no anticipating the light.... it may be tougher, but it gives you more satisfaction when you win. Then again, that's just my 2 cents, lol.

Ah yea I know,its just that if I switch to a Powerglide for the 86' Ill have a PA C4 with a transbreak and an 8" converter to use,footbrake class (as it sounds) wont allow for transbreak :doh:

But whatever,I might look to find a Powerglide and build one myself with out a break,it would probably be more consistant anyhow.

FullAuto,I also need to talk with you sometime,you got experiance with multi stage fogger and plate system?

Ah yea I know,its just that if I switch to a Powerglide for the 86' Ill have a PA C4 with a transbreak and an 8" converter to use,footbrake class (as it sounds) wont allow for transbreak :doh:

But whatever,I might look to find a Powerglide and build one myself with out a break,it would probably be more consistant anyhow.

FullAuto,I also need to talk with you sometime,you got experiance with multi stage fogger and plate system?

I am very familiar with ANYTHING that deals with Fox body Mustangs. I just wanted opinions on the NOS thing because a 150 wet shot is not norm for most people. And neither is a 1993 Mustang bracket car.

BUT, I'm not bragging, I race against all thses decked out tubbed, BBC, tube-chassis cars in footbrake at Immokalee and Moroso. In 2004 I was track champ at Moroso and 2005 I was R/U at Immokalee. Probably 85% of the time I was the slow car. Give me a holler at [email protected] if you want any help. I can give you some tips. Like I said, not braggin at all, I am just so proud of my car that she has gotten me to this point. I can't tell you how good it feels to kick these guys asses who spend 50-60K on their tube-chassis BBC cars and come out the winner. Which is another reason why I DO NOT want to mess with this motor. My car is all set to run low 10's no sweat. But, it has a high 13 second motor. Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I am very familiar with ANYTHING that deals with Fox body Mustangs. I just wanted opinions on the NOS thing because a 150 wet shot is not norm for most people. And neither is a 1993 Mustang bracket car.

BUT, I'm not bragging, I race against all thses decked out tubbed, BBC, tube-chassis cars in footbrake at Immokalee and Moroso. In 2004 I was track champ at Moroso and 2005 I was R/U at Immokalee. Probably 85% of the time I was the slow car. Give me a holler at [email protected] if you want any help. I can give you some tips. Like I said, not braggin at all, I am just so proud of my car that she has gotten me to this point. I can't tell you how good it feels to kick these guys asses who spend 50-60K on their tube-chassis BBC cars and come out the winner. Which is another reason why I DO NOT want to mess with this motor. My car is all set to run low 10's no sweat. But, it has a high 13 second motor. Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Hmm,thanks for the imput ill be talking with you Im sure. :)

You ever been to Pinellas County area? Clearwater specificaly and Sunshine dragsrtip?

You ever been to Pinellas County area? Clearwater specificaly and Sunshine dragsrtip?

I've been to 13 different dragstrips in my life. I can't say I've been to Sunshine or Bradenton. The farthest I will go for a weekly event is Immokalee. Been to Orlando once, can't say I was impressed. Bradenton is well known to be the best hooking track in the southeast. Although Immokalee might be a close second. Points season strats in 2 weeks, after that I am back and forth between Immokalee and Moroso for about 35 weeks. So, no time to hit different tracks. When I happen to get an off week, I usually take it easy at home because when I race Immokalee, I usually don't get home until about 3-4AM.

BTW, I will not know about the ET cutoff at Moroso until next week, so my decision to upgrade won't be for a while. I still have the Edelbrock heads I can get for REAL cheap. Performer RPM heads with 2.02 valves. It's going to come down to those heads and cutting my pistons, or the wet NOS system. Not sure yet.

A friend of mine has been running a wet kit on his 95 GT for 2 years now. He consistantly runs 8 flats with only ported heads and cobra intake. Bottom end is bone stock 80 + K miles on it. He runs a 150 shot and sometimes a 180. He said this year he's gonna try the 200 on some passes.

I didn't know about the e/t cut offs this year. I will be starting the season off in my Mustang this year until my Falcon is done. It's a Charlie's right now. The motor will be going to the Machine shop this weekend. We are taking with us this weekend to Immokalee cause Mike Thompson is going to do the Machine work. Last year I think I only made it to 4 points races. I finsihed 41 place LOL cause of those damn hurricane and I had to work every saturday. I've been running the Falcon in Super Pro and Pro last year. The races I did make. I was going 11.40-11.50's. Now I want to go high 9's and slow it down to 10.00 and run both classes. I want to run Points for both Tracks but Immokalee is so far for me. I will also be doing some driving in my dads car for the Quick 32.