Has anyone ever...

87street

Sep 17, 2008
Hey guys, I'm still relatively new to the board, and no I don't have an S197 model 'stang, I have an '87 Hatch. However I was always interested in the idea of someone putting a built up 5.0 in the S197 stang. Has anyone done this? Details??

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, I'm still relatively new to the board, and no I don't have an S197 model 'stang, I have an '87 Hatch. However I was always interested in the idea of someone putting a built up 5.0 in the S197 stang. Has anyone done this? Details??

It's been done a lot on drag cars. I'm sure someone has done one for the street somewhere. Basically I would get a wrecked V6 and make some mounts, crossmember etc. and drop in all of you 5.0 wiring etc.. I'm sure you'll have some work to do on getting the dash to work right.

good luck with the airbags. more than likely, you will have to disable them. I know when i was gonna do a SBC swap into my 2000 Xtreme, I was gonna lose them. the car is designed to have everything work together. with the ECU for the engine out, it is hard for the car to know whats going on.

I'm sure it can be done, but why? The modular engines aren't the losers they used to be, with the parts available now you can make a real srong mod motor, and even a stroker is gonna be cheaper than an engine swap. And with bolt ons you can make bettter power than most 5.0s do with H/C/I. If I was going to do a complete swap like that, I'd throw a GM LSX in it to make it worth the effort.

A S197 with a old school 5.0 in it would be cake to work on. I love working on my 5.0's engine but everything else sucks. Now on the new GT i love working on the body/suspension and such but ive never tackled the engine... but im sure its a bitch to work on.

A S197 with a old school 5.0 in it would be cake to work on. I love working on my 5.0's engine but everything else sucks. Now on the new GT i love working on the body/suspension and such but ive never tackled the engine... but im sure its a bitch to work on.

The 4.6 is a MUCH easier engine to work on. It is a more complicated design, but still simpler. Even cam swaps are easier than taking the whole front of the motor off on a 5.0. Plus, it's a dry engine, so there is no scraping gaskets off and whatnot.