Has anyone with these smoked taillights been pulled over or harassed by police?

I didn’t know where to post this so hopefully this is the correct place. Anyways I was thinking of getting these led taillights and was wondering if anyone been pulled over or harassed by police for having these smoked tails? Also I live in California if that helps.

Attachments

• 48A6A767-BE56-457A-BD05-CC7900D21996.jpeg
    48A6A767-BE56-457A-BD05-CC7900D21996.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Sponsors (?)

Technically they are not legal. Whether or not you get harassed is all up to the local PD and how badly they want to bother you.

In CA, I wouldn’t even bother with such things or even tinted windows. No reason to give them an excuse to pull you over and start snooping and get you on the more serious mods

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Never give them a reason to pull you over..... As an old man this makes sense, but when I was younger not so much......
I am not anti cop at all. but like ALL professions there is chicken sheet everywhere....

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user
As long as the light is visible from 1000ft away then you’ll probably be alright. Getting hassled for light tinting is really dependent on the cop. If it’s late at night, and you’re getting followed by a cop, Don’t be surprised if he pulls you over for the tint as an opportunity to check you out further.

As long as the light is visible from 1000ft away then you’ll probably be alright. Getting hassled for light tinting is really dependent on the cop. If it’s late at night, and you’re getting followed by a cop, Don’t be surprised if he pulls you over for the tint as an opportunity to check you out further.
LOL, with a " have you been drinking" ???

I see you’ve been pulled over for tinted lights too lol.
Not for tinted lights, I don't care for the look...... but I have been pulled over a "few" times many years ago.....
When your 17-19 and you drove a car like this, you were " cop bait"...... When the " six pack" kicked in the 440 cu inches made alot of noise, so it wasn't only visual, they heard me coming.......LOL
Check out the picture date on the left border........
DSCF0175.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Not for tinted lights, I don't care for the look...... but I have been pulled over a "few" times many years ago.....
When your 17-19 and you drove a car like this, you were " cop bait"...... When the " six pack" kicked in the 440 cu inches made alot of noise, so it wasn't only visual, they heard me coming.......LOL
Check out the picture date on the left border........
DSCF0175.JPG
back when they made wooden headers

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
When i was a youth driving my car, I always got pulled over for no front license plate. Never given a ticket, always a warning. It was always an excuse to check me out. Who are you with, who's car is this. Didn't i suspend your license last month (not me). the usual demeaning rigmarole. My buddies would get the same plus really rung through the wringer for their exhausts, typically off-road H-pipe and flowmasters.

So, i put the plate back on, stripped the tint of the car and took off the GTS blackout headlight covers. I never dared take the cats off to avoid having the car too loud. And wouldn't you know it? I stopped getting pulled over.

Reactions: 2 users
When i was a youth driving my car, I always got pulled over for no front license plate. Never given a ticket, always a warning. It was always an excuse to check me out. Who are you with, who's car is this. Didn't i suspend your license last month (not me). the usual demeaning rigmarole. My buddies would get the same plus really rung through the wringer for their exhausts, typically off-road H-pipe and flowmasters.

So, i put the plate back on, stripped the tint of the car and took off the GTS blackout headlight covers. I never dared take the cats off to avoid having the car too loud. And wouldn't you know it? I stopped getting pulled over.
Reminds me of high school. I let my buddy borrow the car and he was pulled over for the exhaust. The cop asked him if there was a muffler on the car and he replied that there were 2. I had dual glass packs on my 302 MII. He was never even given a warning to my recollection.

Age has a lot to do with a lot of that stuff as well as the cop's attitude.

Age has a lot to do with a lot of that stuff as well as the cop's attitude.

Right. In my late 30's. I ripped 1st and 2nd right past a cop doing paperwork. Immediately pulled over and was respectful and he didn't even raise his voice. We exchanged a few sentences, i cracked a joke at my own expense, got a verbal warning and he let me go.

I mean i get it. 22 year old kid in a fox is going to get a different type of attention than a 40-something year old in one. Even with that said, I would hesitate to put something like smoked taillights on my DD because I'm just too old to deal with the hassle of getting pulled over by cops and having to explain why i smoked out my taillights. It's not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
In 75 I purchased a 73 Z28 that I kept until around 80..
The backup lights did not work and I could not figure out why??
It was a 4 speed car ( no 5 speeds back then)... My old boss, at the gas station I worked at in HS, looked at it one day and asked me to pop the trunk... Pulled out the reverse light wire/receptacle and lo and behold the light bulbs had been removed..... Put new bulbs in and away I went...
So I am coming home one early morning and I get pulled over... Police told me my back up lights were on... Not sure how, but he let me go..
There was some hokey linkage that went from the reverse shifter to my steering column that had been removed from my car.. Apparently this is how the back up lights were actuated with a column shift, and Chevy jerry rigged the 4 speed linkage (I was missing) to turn the column to turn on/off the reverse lights......
Everybody still with me? I am getting to the point here.......
So I figure no big deal, I will manually turn the column to turn on/off the back up lights..... yeah, sure I will
Another early morning and I get pulled over again for my back up lights being on.. Again I was let go, this was WAY before the alcohol sniffing flashlights ( thank goodness)...
I took the bulbs out the next day..........

Last edited:
The collar on the steering column was hooked to the reverse linkage so you had to put it in reverse to remove the key, my friend had a 68 or 69 camaro with a three speed that worked that way
I believe you are correct....... Look at my sisters Mustang II in the background.. She replaced this with the 83 I am working on now...'
DSCF1037.JPG
DSCF1038.JPG

Last edited:

So nice living in a state that requires only one license plate on the back.....
It was two plates where I was born and lived for 57 years in O ree gun, which always was a problem with todays cars and alot of the classics.....

Last edited: