Has Procharger Fixed The Leaky Blower Problem??

• Sponsors (?)

I know there are some strong opinions on this subject, but from my professional experience, I have never seen one single head unit that leaked made by ProCharger. In my opinion they make an awesome supercharger that has proven itself time and time again.

There have been lots of threads about this on other forums and nobody ever seems to come up with any proof of a leaking ProCharger head unit.:) These rumors get started for two major reasons.

First of all what most people, even some techs, do not realize is that the ProCharger compressor housing seal is a "wet" seal much like a rear main seal. It will be externally wet to the touch just like a rear main seal. That is the way they purposely designed. A lot of people and techs will touch the head unit or set it down on a shop towel and see a little oil and just blindly assume that it is leaking.

Then I have even seen some techs set the head unit on a bench upside down and when they flip it over to go and install it, of course it is going to leak. Any self contained supercharger will, Paxton, Kenne Bell, ProCharger.

Just wanting to know because I am thinking about getting one very soon, but i am worried about this

I did a lot of research on this recently and every single supercharger has its ups and downs. They are about the same as far as quality goes in my opinion. Alot of bad threads on supechargers of any brand get started most of the time because someone didnt install them right or didn't have them dynotuned right. I personally choose the procharger because I got a great deal on it. I would have gone with the Paxton or Vortech if I found one for a lower price.

From what I've read up on the oil leak problem, is that it occurs mostly on the P1-SC. I have a D1-SC and have had not one problem with it, oil or belts. Some people over fill their head unit and it blows the seals also. If I were you, spend the extra couple hundred and get the bigger D1. Procharger IMO is a great blower, I love how it's self-contained, not to mention it sounds great!

I know there are some strong opinions on this subject, but from my professional experience, I have never seen one single head unit that leaked made by ProCharger. In my opinion they make an awesome supercharger that has proven itself time and time again.

There have been lots of threads about this on other forums and nobody ever seems to come up with any proof of a leaking ProCharger head unit.:) These rumors get started for two major reasons.

First of all what most people, even some techs, do not realize is that the ProCharger compressor housing seal is a "wet" seal much like a rear main seal. It will be externally wet to the touch just like a rear main seal. That is the way they purposely designed. A lot of people and techs will touch the head unit or set it down on a shop towel and see a little oil and just blindly assume that it is leaking.

Then I have even seen some techs set the head unit on a bench upside down and when they flip it over to go and install it, of course it is going to leak. Any self contained supercharger will, Paxton, Kenne Bell, ProCharger.

Procharger admited that their headunits were leaking. However, they fixed the units and most of them are fine now.

The fact is, EVERY SC distributor is going to make SOME defective products. And that may 10 units out out 20,000 made. It doesn't matter what company it is. There WILL be problems with some units because of manufacturer defect. But most of the time problems occur because of the owner, not the company (like you said, people turning the units upside down etc).

That being said, people should buy SC units according to their HP needs. Because the reality is, every SC company will make a few mistakes now and then. But for the most part- KB,Vortech,Paxton,Procharger,Whipple,and all the other popular companies- make a great, reliable, unit. You will only have problems if you install it wrong, etc.

To the poster: You should consider these things when buying a SC:

1. How much power are you going to want? More CFM means more power.
2. Do you want the power instantly (roots blower) or do you want the boost to slowly build up in higher rpm's (centrifugal)?
3. Do you want a self contained unit?
4. What is your money budget?

Hope that helps!

-Tanner

I did a lot of research on this recently and every single supercharger has its ups and downs. They are about the same as far as quality goes in my opinion. Alot of bad threads on supechargers of any brand get started most of the time because someone didnt install them right or didn't have them dynotuned right. I personally choose the procharger because I got a great deal on it. I would have gone with the Paxton or Vortech if I found one for a lower price.

From what I've read up on the oil leak problem, is that it occurs mostly on the P1-SC. I have a D1-SC and have had not one problem with it, oil or belts. Some people over fill their head unit and it blows the seals also. If I were you, spend the extra couple hundred and get the bigger D1. Procharger IMO is a great blower, I love how it's self-contained, not to mention it sounds great!

Pretty good solid advice. I've dealt with ProCharger and their reps for about 9-10 years now, and no-one over there ever admitted any problem, because there never was one in my opinion and theirs. What happens is one guy overfills his Pro Charger head unit and then posts a thread saying his ProCharger head unit blew up. Then it takes off like wildfire that ProCharger is the making faulty superchargers that leak. It's the same with Flowmaster mufflers.

I like the self-contained setup much better myself. No sense in pumping dirty hot engine oil into the head unit. That's not to say Vortech and others don't make good stuff, but I personally think if you are going for all out quality and performance go for the Pro Charger. If you looking for a good bang-for-the-buck kit, the Vortech Mongoose kit is a nice deal.

Try superchargers4less.com Last time I talked to that guy he seemed to have Pro Charger kits priced considerably less that most others.

I recently installed a 9lb procharger kit. I put less than 3 hours on the blower before it started leaking oil all over the under side of hood. Sent it back and they said it blew the main seal. What crap!

wow thats bad, this is a old thread of mine i forgot i posted lol, Old Thread Revial. I hate this happend to you, from what i heard it fixed now, but sometimes no matter how good a company or product you sometimes get a bad apple, maybe/hopefully thats just the case.