have a theory, need help please! (pcv)

5.0Torx

Dec 30, 2007
hey all, Ive been reading search threads for a while now and my head is spinning from the posts ive read. Im posting this thread to clarify my understanding as well as to get help with my problem, specifically.

I recently did the GT40p/explorer intake thing on my car and it hasnt been running right. It is leaking oil from the rear main, i believe, but this only seems to happen when the engine is shut off, not while its running. Is that normal of an overpressurized crankcase? It didnt leak before the head swap.

Ive also read threads saying that a whacky pcv valve caused people to lose power. I am definitely slower than stock! During assembly I basically wiped the hole in the back of the lower intake down with a paper towel to clean/dry it, put some rtv around the pcv valve base, and jammed it into the hole. Does the crankecase pressure want to suck the pcv valve in, or blow it out? Im wondering if i have a possible vacuum leak from it getting blown out or something. I remembered someone saying that if you shake the pcv valve back and forth in your hand and hear the check valve clicking, its usually ok. Mine clicked. I reused the pcv valve from the HO intake onto the explorer intake. Ive seen pics of pcv valves having 2 plastic tubes coming off the main, and mine was not like this. Just the main nipple, which is connected to a new hose to the upper intake. Also have a new hose from the VC to the TB. The upper and lower intake are getting saturated with oil alraedy - only 5k miles on the new setup so far.

At part throttle it seems to run fine. I even got 27 mpg driving back to school last night (about 95 miles of pure highway). But when i really hammer down it just doesnt pull the way it should.

Sorry for the long post, TIA

• Sponsors (?)

Generally the pcv is gonna have vaccum on it meaning it should be getting sucked back in and not blown out. If its blowing out you've got some problem thats causing too much crankcase pressure. You mentioned two lines coming off of the the other Explorer PCV's, try that? Ive never heard of a rear main leaking while the engine is off, thats the part thats stumping me, unless theres something building pressure while its just sitting. Running and not leaking makes sense since everything is moving and pushing vaccum this way and that. Try a new PCV, they arent that expensive i wouldnt think.