Have parts for PI swap, should I check compression before install?

Well, after 3 months of saving money, I finally purchased everything I need to do the PI swap. My car is a 96 with 108K on it. It has not been raced/driven hard at all, mostly highway miles. With the bump in compression, what precautions should I check to make sure there isn't anything I need to do to the bottom end first. I am thinking I should do a compression test, but would appreciate any suggestions. I don't want to tear into the bottom end if I don't have to, but I also want to do this right the first time. Thanks.

96 GT conv. King cobra clutch, fidanza aluminum flywheel, steeda triax, H&R SS, Tokico Blues, X2 balljoints, Steed Bumpsteer Kit, SCT Tune, CAI, 70mm tb, X-pipe, Magnaflow cat back, 17x9 &17x10.5 bullitts.

• Sponsors (?)

Is there any reason to believe the bottom end isn't in good shape? Unless you have issues, like loss of power, smoking, or a knock, I am sure it is doing just fine. The bottom ends on these engine are relatively stout, and can take about 425rwhp (under 6500rpm) without a problem. Your sub 300hp head combo won't cause it to break a sweat even.

The only thing that concerns me is that the engine hasn't been driven hard. :D You occasionally need to blow out the carbon. ;) My 97GT goes WOT everyday, and it is still going strong at 192k.

Is there any reason to believe the bottom end isn't in good shape? Unless you have issues, like loss of power, smoking, or a knock, I am sure it is doing just fine. The bottom ends on these engine are relatively stout, and can take about 425rwhp (under 6500rpm) without a problem. Your sub 300hp head combo won't cause it to break a sweat even.

The only thing that concerns me is that the engine hasn't been driven hard. :D You occasionally need to blow out the carbon. ;) My 97GT goes WOT everyday, and it is still going strong at 192k.

The car runs very strong (well as much as a 96 GT can), and I have at times driven the car hard, but not all the time. I just don't drag race it or anything like that, but I do enjoy taking it on trips with some friends through the mountains. There is no smoke, knocking, nothing that I can tell and it has been maintained like it should.

Thanks bhuff for the input. Good to see that at 192K yours is still going strong.:nice:

If the engine pulls decent vacuum, doesn't burn copious amounts of oil and runs well I'm sure it's fine.

If your PI "swap" includes the heads then you can do a visual inspection of the cylinder walls with the heads off. You can check for scoring, the presence of a ridge (indicating bore wear), the extent of any glaze. If you have a bore gauge you can even get a general idea of bore condition by taking a couple of measurements with the pistons at BDC.

BTW, I personally don't subscribe to the notion of there being a need for periodically "blowing the carbon out." Modern EFI engines with closed loop feedback run very cleanly. The accuracy of fuel delivery is one the of the reasons engines last so long nowadays: they don't wash down cylinder bores with excess gas and contaminate the oil like their carbureted forebears.