Having misfire issues ( I think) on 00 PLZ HELP!!!!

joavitia

Mar 29, 2007
Original issue was a P0306 code and a P0420 code the first one is a misfire on cylinder 6 and a diffecent exhaust system. I replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires coil pack and the injector on cylinder 6. I have cleared the codes and they have not comed bacjk but the car still missing idleing very rough and it seems like the exhaust got louder. ANy help would be great thx.

• Sponsors (?)

One thing I've found is even new plug wires can be bad. I had 2 out of 6 bad in the last set I bought and they were an expensive brand. Anyway I would check those first. Also a broken or cracked vacume hose will make it run rough at an idle. Did you check the plug gap before installing them? How old is the fuel filter?

Yes, cables good new filter sparkplugs are good and gapped, I checked all the vaccum hoses there is only the ones to the canister, the pcv and the ones for the egr system right? Also my check engine light has not come back on!!!that is what is troubleing me. The car has very rough idle it seems like it wants to jump out of the engine bay the car runs but very poorly

i think you need to recheck your firing order/plug wire routing..id bet you got two wires mixed up..or more...re check and recheck everything you did.
your 420 code is cat efficiency ignore that code till you get it running right.
the converter and o2 sensors cannot keep up with the spent gasses from the car misfiring. ...seriously recheck your firing order..

I checked firing order and plug gap again everything looks good one thing did notice is that my brakes are getting harder to press on but if I plug the booster hose I dont see a difference on my idle. Also do you guys think that the Idle Air bypasss might be acting up I still havent gotten any codes back

You could have a sticky IAC (idle Air Control valve). I had one go bad on my Ranger and it never threw a code. If the motor itself is working it won't throw a code but the plunger may be stuck which is what mine did.

Ok so here is the news today driving back from work in my stang the "service engine soon" light started blinking but it would turn off then it would start blinking again. Does that mean that its got new codes I can pull? or does it mean something else?

it means stop driving the car...
when it flashes there is a major problem meaning the converter is in danger of destruction..im telling you that you have a misfire and you definately do..
it needs to go to a reputable shop if you cant get ahold of a scanner to read the
codes stored..do not drive around go to your destination and stay there..
flashing light basically means that there is unburnt fuel coming into the converter.
because a cylinder is not firing through the plug..you either got a bad coil,
cracked plug, the wrong plug, crossed plug wires, bad wire, wire arcing on metal.
plug boot not set properly (happens with cheap wires)..
i have even seen a new sparkplug electrode drop onto the tab causing no gap..
you need to recheck everything, have a cylinder balance test done,
or get a spray bottle and spray around the ignition system with the car running
to check for arcing wires, boots or coil.. spray and if the car runs worse almost instantly...you have an ignition problem or (misfire)..

0 ? Did you remove all the plugs before testing and then crank it over several seconds? What was the readings for the other cylinders? You need to find out now if it's rings or a valve. If it wasn't smoking I would say a bad valve.

Yes I did remove all the plugs the other cylinders are at 150psi, To day I went ahead and took the valve cover off and discovered that the intake valve spring on cylinder 6 is broken :owned: