Head & Cam Advice

Zigman

Feb 20, 2017
Hello, I am hoping to get a little advice from the 5.0 crowd. I have a 78 mustang II that I have transplanted a late 80's 5.0 H.O. motor into, and converted to carb (600 c.f.m edelbrock and manifold) and HEI distributor. I purchased the motor from a guy that had the block and heads rebuilt at a machine shop. As far as I know the motor was rebuilt using all the stock components (heads, cam, etc.) with the exception of high compression pistons. I simply assembled the motor (using my original timing cover and oil pan) and put it in the car. I am now looking for more power. The research I have done so far has pointed me to upgrading to aluminum heads and different cam. I am thinking about edelbrock E-street heads, but I get really lost in the specifics. I have a picture that shows the pistons that are in the motor, but I don't know specific details. I get confused when it comes to what would be compatible...would I have issues with valve clearance?....would I have to convert from the roller lifters to something else if I swapped the cam?, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Even if you tell me that I am in over my head and should take it to a professional. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Give us some specs on the rest of the car like rear gear, trans and what you plan on doing with it.
Lots of choices with roller cams, no need to change roller lifters.
Are you running a duel plane intake? Headers? The head choice is going to be subjective.
Here is a cylinder head dyno comparison
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-1101-cylinder-head-comparison-test/
And if your really into reading about head comparisons there is this
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/05/heads/
Your heads and cam have to work well with the intake and exhaust in the rpm range that you intend on using your car so do your research, know how your car will be used and buy stuff that work within those parameters.
For example: edelbrock performer rpm, voodoo cam and a duel plane intake (edelbrock does make a matched h/c/i ) with 355 gears, 4 speed makes for a fun driver that has the choppy idle everybody likes, is really peppy on the street and you could keep the 600 holley, low buck fun.

No matter what with unknown pistons you are going to have to check for clearance.
E streets I believe are known for clearance issues on a 302 with stock pistons (if I remember correctly).

My money and buying brand new? I wouldn't even be considering any head other than twisted wedges or afr's.

On the used market i'd buy performers or gt40X heads, but the price would have to leave plenty of room for a valve job.

Thanks for the responses. I am running an Edelbrock Performer dual-plane intake with 600 cfm Performer carb and headers. The car as a C-4 auto trans and 3.0 gears (which I will eventually swap for 3.55 gears). The car is just a weekend fun play thing. Do you guys agree that the stock cam and heads are probably the biggest two things that are limiting the performance at this point? I do see gt40 heads come up for sale used every now and then, but I hardly ever see used aluminum heads for sale, so I will probably be buying new. The cam shaft is the biggest unknown for me. My motor knowledge is pretty limited so I am trying to learn as much as I can.