Header/Starter issues...

Stang_1973

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2001
San Antonio, Tx.
So as some may know I put longtubes on the car a couple months ago. So yesterday I go to take out the car and the starter makes a weird noise and all I get is a whirling sound. I crank again and all get is a zipping/whirling sound. So I figure something is up with the starter. I quickly find out how uch in the way the headers are. I guess I am going to have to completely remove the passenger side header just to get the starter off. When i put the headers back on, do I need to install a new gasket or can I use the same one?

• Sponsors (?)

I have long tube headers and I use a smaller aftermarket starter that is physically smaller so I can remove it w/o taking the header loose. I also wrapped it in heat reflecting material to help protect it from the high heat from the headers. If the header gasket is not damaged you can reuse it.

You can use any aftermarket mini starter for a small block Ford but you will need to wire it a little different. They are all set up for late models so I moved the main positive cable directly to the battery and added a 14 ga wire that runs from the starter solenoid (new little post) to the original solenoid mounted on your inner fender where you removed the original main cable that went to the starter. It gives you a double solenoid set up but it still looks stock and functions the same as the original.

thehueypilot said:
You can use any aftermarket mini starter for a small block Ford but you will need to wire it a little different. They are all set up for late models so I moved the main positive cable directly to the battery and added a 14 ga wire that runs from the starter solenoid (new little post) to the original solenoid mounted on your inner fender where you removed the original main cable that went to the starter. It gives you a double solenoid set up but it still looks stock and functions the same as the original.

+1, I had numberous troubles burning out my starters (the big bulky ones) and I switched to the one mentioned above. All I need now is to use some headerwrap to lower the temp a little.