• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Header Thread Repair

  • Thread starter Thread starter vpap1
  • Start date Start date May 13, 2015
V

vpap1

Member
Sep 21, 2009
109
2
19
May 13, 2015
#1
  • May 13, 2015
  • #1
Have a 90 gt header bolt hole on passenger side that has stripped threads. I deff need to drill and helicoil 2 bolt holes.

Would it be enough to jack up the engine, and have enough room to drill out and repair,

Take the head off and repair or

Remove engine and trans as a unit and then repair on hoist

I am trying not to dive to far into the motor cuz when I do I have a tendency to upgrade, and money is tight

What are your opinions?

Also the heads are aluminum

Thanks
 

BMW Rider

Mustang Master
Oct 9, 2014
140
277
83
Calgary, AB, Canada
May 13, 2015
#2
  • May 13, 2015
  • #2
I would say pull the header out and see how much room there is to work. Of course it will depend on which bolt hole it is too, some will be easier than others to get to. You would almost certainly need to use an angle drill and probably a stubby bit to drill it out for the HeliCoil. Once that is done, the tapping and putting in the insert should be easier as those are hand operations.
 
Reactions: 7991LXnSHO

Onefine88

Previously 89SSC18
10 Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
1,422
796
154
May 14, 2015
#3
  • May 14, 2015
  • #3
I believe I'd remove the head and do it on a bench.
 

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,058
1,643
194
NJ
May 14, 2015
#4
  • May 14, 2015
  • #4
I'd probably remove them both maybe have them valve jobbed and have the machine shop fix the holes. Not that I couldn't fix the holes, but if I have to take one off, might as well get some power for your trouble.
Probably cost you like a total of $200.

If it were an old iron head, i'd be a fan of doing whatever it takes to fix it while on the car. An aluminum TFS head? I'd be more careful. And for the record on my old e350 351 work van, I drilled and tapped a head while on the van in a tight spot, held for about 5 years, then while doing it a second time because it was leaking again, yup, I drilled into the water jacket. JB well and a new heli coil fixed it and sold the van (told the buyer, but at $1500 you don't expect much anyway).
I still remember the sinking feeling of the antifreeze coming out.
 

84Ttop

They make new pistons every day, so why worry?
5 Year Member
Jul 2, 2009
5,222
3,254
204
South Jersey
May 14, 2015
#5
  • May 14, 2015
  • #5
x2 for dropping it off at the machine shop, I would expect to pay around 300$ to have both heads decked, cleaned and fixed up good as new
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Cooling Jacket Pitting Idea's?
  • BoostedRed89gt
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
261
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Mustang5L5
J
Exhaust manifold to Y-pipe nut & stud dimensions?
  • joeybuddy96
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
150
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jul 9, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Engine New Oil Leak Help.
  • Slo5Oh89
  • Mar 14, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
676
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Mar 19, 2025
Slo5Oh89
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
332
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
S
5.0 Rebuild
  • smittys7up
  • Nov 29, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
918
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 16, 2026
keel
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?