Headgasket or rings???

My car recently developed a problem after about 1,000 miles. I had my heads off to get resurfaced and new valve springs, and when I re installed them I reused my MLS head gaskets for the first time. The problem is that there is smoke coming out of the valve cover, just a puff every couple seconds, like every time a certain cylinder fires. I did a compression test and they were all 140-150, except #7 and #8 are at 50psi. My friend says rings, but I am hoping head gasket since they were reused... The car also has an s trim on it, but I took the belt off to run the compression test and it still smokes out of the valve covers, and it has pressure pushing the smoke out still.

It runs really good besides the smoke though

any help would be great, THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

it does kinda sound like blow-by, but-you said cylinders 7 & 8 are only 50 psi while the rest are 140-150? i think i'd ck the head gasket first seeing as you just slapped them back on, and now two adjacent cylinders are leaking....probably into one another. have you even had any problems with oil fouling the plugs in those two cylinders? Did it smoke before you did the head remove and install? usually rings don't just "go bad" that quickly unless you detonate alot, or overboost it.

I dont think 13# is "over-boosting". Also, I dont think was any detonation. The plugs all looked the same today when I pulled them out. There is not oil in the water, and no water in the oil. The first 800 miles it didnt do this, now it does. It pretty much started when I put the heads back on, for sure happened that week.

well, you don't always have oil in water or vice versa with a bad head gasket...sometimes the border between the cylinders will burn through, or just not seal up correctly. did you ever ck the compression before pulling the heads?

I'd vote a blown head gasket. You could do a leakdown test, but I'd bet money it's just a head gasket. It's just seems too obvious with 7&8 having low compression numbers and being next to eachother....

Fred

The quick easy way to find out if the gasket is gone is to check the radiator for exhaust gases getting in the coolant system.I f the gasket is blown out around the coolant jackets than you will pressureize the system. This is as simple (sometimes) from a cold start of course, to just pull the rad cap of and let car idle and if the coolant continues to flow or burp over than your letting exhaust gases in the coolant system. I f that dosen't work get the tester kit that has a liquid die that will turn blue or purple I believe that shows if there is contamination which is a result of the same.

so you reused the stock headgaskets? or are these aftermarket headgaskets? either way reusing them is somthing i definately would not do. just sounds like you blew out the compression ring between the cylinders, if you had compression that bad and it was rings, they would almost have to be gone or broken in half. and it would smoke like a mother f*er. but there is always that possibility.