headlight replacement

craigsvt

Feb 12, 2007
i wanted to replace the headlights on my 97 and it sounds stupid but i dont want to break anything. im not really sure how to take them off. i already have the new headlights on order just could use a little detailed help.

• Sponsors (?)

Craig my best advice honestly would be to buy the haynes manual for your car. It's not a stupid question and i'm sure someone will answer it I just think you'll get a lot of use out of the manual including for this task. For 25 bucks or less it's a sound investment and is perfect for things such as this. Good luck.

I agree with gunmetal5.0. Get a Haynes, or Chilton's. The only "tricky" thing about the headlights is on the 3 clips (for lack of a better word) they have tiny prongs that must be depressed before you can remove the headlight. That is the ONLY really tricky thing about the headlight removal.

when you take off the headlight

I agree with gunmetal5.0. Get a Haynes, or Chilton's. The only "tricky" thing about the headlights is on the 3 clips (for lack of a better word) they have tiny prongs that must be depressed before you can remove the headlight. That is the ONLY really tricky thing about the headlight removal.

when you take off the headlight, you just depress the prongs and thats it? you dont have to take off anything else like the bumper or the headlight frame?

No you don't have to take off the bumper. The headlight is a self contained unit. Once you clear the aforementioned clips it should just slide out, although if you have had them on for awhile you might have to rock it back and forth a little to loosen it. If I recall correctly there are two clips on the outside side of the light and one on the inner side. Took me 10 mins to realize that the inner one was there and I almost broke the thing. LOL.

Good luck.

Don't worry, Your new lights should have new squezze tabs and studs coming off of the light boxes. If you break the stuff on the old light boxes you are still ok.