Headlight switch bulbs burned out

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
For the first time in 8 years, i turned my headlights on at night (i kid you not)

Anyway, i noticed both the headlight and fog light indicator were not lit, and the hazard indicator on the other side was not lit up. Only the defrost illuminator was lit up.

This bothers me, so i want to make it work. I assume since this is 1988, there are small bulbs inside right? Just want to make sure before i spend 3 hours trying to get the damn thing open.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is ony the switchs on both side of the dashboard. Can you switch them around to see if the good one work on the other side ? Assuming the M/F plugs are the same both side. I don't think you could change the lightbulbs on those switch. They might be LED or very low power bulbs. J/Y switchs are like free.
Do the dashboard illumination wheel control the output of those lights ? When I first get my Mustang from the car lot. Someone have the wheel turn all the way to OFF. I was driving around for a week with a dark panel,until it hit me.

Mike, if all else fails, try sending a PM to Saleen0679. I believe he has posted the number before (something in there is a 2182, and those indicators might be it).

Okay, well i checked out the defrost switch and Ford made it easy here. Just unscrew the sockets from the back and they come out. Little bulbs with green rubber sleeves. Hmm. Changing the color here might be pretty easy.

Headlight switch is a PITA to open though

Mike, if all else fails, try sending a PM to Saleen0679. I believe he has posted the number before (something in there is a 2182, and those indicators might be it).
The spec book shows the Rear Window Defrost bulb as a 2182, but the only bulb I have found with the same dimensions as on existing bulbs in the switch is the 8640. The 8640 is a T-1¼ (4mm dia.) while the 2182 is a T-1¾ (5mm dia.) which I don't think will fit into the socket correctly.

Superbright LEDs mentioned above and V-LEDs both carry Neowedge LEDs with built in sockets which may be another option since the come in various colors. The size 4 appear to be the closest match.

Well, i ended up finding that the bulbs were okay, but there is an intermittent connection prob inside the switch, so the bulbs either work or don't.

As for the headlight switch, i was running a GT switch. Since i don't have fog, i took it out and put my LX headlight switch back in. prob solved.

I had some bad lights in my 93 so i replaced them all. LOL at the "hi-tech" dash wire runs.
Speedo.jpg

Okay, well i checked out the defrost switch and Ford made it easy here. Just unscrew the sockets from the back and they come out. Little bulbs with green rubber sleeves. Hmm. Changing the color here might be pretty easy.

Headlight switch is a PITA to open though

Mustang5L5- How did you end up getting the headlight switch open?!? I've stared at mine for a while and can't see anyway to do it... any hints you can give me to help me out?

thanks!