Headlight Switch Problem

BiminiBlueLX

Sep 2, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I was driving my '91 LX the other night and noticed my headlight switch was not staying in place, like it popped out from going over rough road with bumps, etc. Something to that nature. I tried pushing it back in, but only the left side (where the levers are) stayed snapped in. The right side wouldn't. My question to you all: Is there any way I can fix this without having to pay $90 for a new switch? Is this common among '79-'93 5.0 mustangs? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Not common that I'm aware of (though I am more familiar with GT light switches). You could try some double-sided tape on the side with the broken tang.

Yeah, that's true. Double-sided tape might work. The plastic tab that's supposed to hold it in isn't broken though, it just won't snap in. I tried prying it out a bit to see if it would snap to no success. I don't want to snap it off and have to end up buying a new one.

Can you try snapping the right side in first?

I just went outside and did that (after trying to bend the tabs outward some more) since it has been sitting in the heat of 103* weather and it snapped in first try. The real test will come at night when turning the lights on will determine how well it will hold. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. :nice: