headlights & brakelights don't work

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
After about 5 years research, parts gathering, time and effort - I have the 302 EFI situated. //long story in its own

Now it's time to get the veh registered and inspected, but my headlights don't work and the brakelights either. If I swithc to highbeams they come on. Parking lights work on all fours, and turn indicators. Brake light switch is connected. (and hosetly I cannot tell if it's hte headlights or highbeams that are working, but being able to see them clearly at 6pm in TX - it's gotta be the highbeams working) //i'm not at the car while typing this, but I just remembered there's a blue light in center of cluster to indicate highbeams - it's been that long...yea.

What measures can I take to diagnose & fix the cause? I checked fuses, only one blown is 14A HTR _ guessing that's the heater blower moter fuse. //No heater existant

• Sponsors (?)

It would seem you have two issues.

If the headlamps work on high or low the the headlamp switch is ok. It's either the dimmer switch, connector or the wiring from the dimmer to the bulbs.

No brakelamps: check for voltage in and out (when pressed) at the brakelamp switch. If good, check the voltage at the bulbs. No good, then check voltage/wiring/connections where they come out of the column, if bad then the signal light switch in the column.

Okay, I'll check out the dimmer switch - it's probably the culprit..

Figures. I've changed-out this turn signal switch at least 3-4 times before already. There's something definitly wrong with my steering column as it keeps burning these things out, when I have the grant steering wheel (yea, poor design) connected, I cannot fit the nut onto the column all the way. I'll have to take some pictures. I'll test as advised, but now that you mention it - it's 90% probable to be the turn signal switch due to my previous history with those.

Would you happen to have information on how to fix a steering column? When I have my grant steering wheel connected, I can move the shaft & wheel to the left or right about 1/2" each side (okay, maybe 1/4"), and the steering wheel nut never gets fully threaded on.