heads ? anyone

fast97gt

Jan 2, 2007
north carolina
fixin to rebuild a 4.6 for my ride and was wondering if anyone out there has shaved the heads on a modular engine, the reason im asking, ive done it on push rod engines, and gained any where from a point to 2 points on the compression ratio depending on how much i shaved. i did a 360 mopar engine for my dads truck, that had dished pistons, and with stockheads it had 8.2:1 compression. i shaved the heads .030 and run 89 octane, and now have 9.4:1 comp. running the same dished pistons. i want to know what you people think since mine is not a push rod motor, and if anyone has ever done or heard of it being done.:shrug: and one more thing what are the stock pistons? cast, hypers, or forged

• Sponsors (?)

fixin to rebuild a 4.6 for my ride and was wondering if anyone out there has shaved the heads on a modular engine, the reason im asking, ive done it on push rod engines, and gained any where from a point to 2 points on the compression ratio depending on how much i shaved. i did a 360 mopar engine for my dads truck, that had dished pistons, and with stockheads it had 8.2:1 compression. i shaved the heads .030 and run 89 octane, and now have 9.4:1 comp. running the same dished pistons. i want to know what you people think since mine is not a push rod motor, and if anyone has ever done or heard of it being done.:shrug: and one more thing what are the stock pistons? cast, hypers, or forged

the pistons are hypers ,as for shaving the heads its not recommended on an ohc engine iff shaved too much the chains can wind up with not enough tension also have to be real careful too as piston to valve clearance can become an issue.what year 4.6 are you building iff its an early one a switch to the pi heads will net a significant gain in your compression ration like 10:1 i think so that might be an option .gd luck with your build up

well the engine im building was told to be a 98 gt motor, but i only plan to go no more than .030" but i know you can go no more than .045" if you have a warpped head. but the pistons are dished is why im asking, but ill use clay to make sure. any other advice is helpful