Heat from tranny coming into car.

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I've been looking for the heat that is coming inside the car and I've finally found the culprit. My car was an auto and the guy I bought it from installed a 5 speed. As I'm driving the car, an unnatural amount of heat comes through the hole where the shifter is located. I can't really feel it if the windows are up but when they are down the heat billows inside the car (maybe its like a vacuum). Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

srothfuss said:
Do you have the shifter hole covered?

I'll try to explain what it looks like and you can tell me if its correct (starting from transmission):

Shifter connected with 4 bolts.
Shifter boot with a metal frame on the bottom screwed into the floor.
The boot is screwed to the floor through a rubber gasket thingy (nice) and also screwed through a layer of SecondSkin Overkill (closed cell foam).
Plastic cover that clips into the center console.

I can feel the heat in the shifter boot. I can feel it in the ashtray hole and also through the hole that the stereo goes into.

While I had the interior stripped I could feel the heat pouring in through the shifter.

Am I missing something?

When he changed it from a automatic to a manual if he didn't cut out the origional hole and weld in the new hump that is for the manual transmission then the boot is probably unnaturally stretched and might leak air past it. You can tell pretty easy if you pull off the boot if the floor has five holes it's the auto set-up. If the floor has four holes and if you look into the hole you should be able to see about an inch or so below the edge of the metal should be another metal edge that has been cut out, that's the manual set-up. I changed mine and it took me about a day and I had to find a donor car in the junkyard for the overlay section of floorboard.

RaceDvr50 said:
When he changed it from a automatic to a manual if he didn't cut out the origional hole and weld in the new hump that is for the manual transmission then the boot is probably unnaturally stretched and might leak air past it. You can tell pretty easy if you pull off the boot if the floor has five holes it's the auto set-up. If the floor has four holes and if you look into the hole you should be able to see about an inch or so below the edge of the metal should be another metal edge that has been cut out, that's the manual set-up. I changed mine and it took me about a day and I had to find a donor car in the junkyard for the overlay section of floorboard.

The car had 2 holes on bottom that could fit a bolt and two holes on top that were screwed in using self-tapping metal screws.

I need to weld in a new hump?

My car had that same prob so i put the lower shift boot on and it did the same thing. The problem with mine was the little light bulb in there was getting so hot it was heating the whole damn thing up.

Rtanger84 said:
My car had that same prob so i put the lower shift boot on and it did the same thing. The problem with mine was the little light bulb in there was getting so hot it was heating the whole damn thing up.

Light bulb? I don't know what you're talking about.

dec322 said:
The car had 2 holes on bottom that could fit a bolt and two holes on top that were screwed in using self-tapping metal screws.

I need to weld in a new hump?

Ok so it looks like he bastardized it. The right way to do it is to add the manual hump over the top and cut the origional hole bigger. I used the lower metal from the donor car as a template to cut out the hole, drilled out the spotwelds, marked the floor where the spot welds should line up then laid the new hump over and plug welded it in place. Then I primed, painted and dynomatted the whole thing and filled the spaces that could collect water between the two pieces with body sealer.
There might be a quick and dirty way to go about it but I have always believed in doing a job right so you don't need to do it twice.

gt40_2003wes said:
do u still have the catalytic converters on ur car if so this could be causing the heat.

No cats on my car.

Today I was talking to someone about this and he mentioned an insulated shifter boot. Has anyone heard about this?

RaceDvr: Yeah, he messed the car up. I hate having to follow behind a guy and fix what has been rigged up. I'm trying to get around having to go the cut and weld right now b/c I just installed the interior and don't feel like taking it apart again. We'll see what happens.

Mustangs are notorious for the tranny tunnel getting warm and giving off heat. Both of my Mustangs do it. Putting a new inner shift boot does help, but even my newer Mustang did this when new