• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Heater Core Pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter revhead347
  • Start date Start date Dec 5, 2009

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Dec 5, 2009
#1
  • Dec 5, 2009
  • #1
I drove 130 miles today in sub freezing temperatures with ice on my windshield almost the entire way. I didn't really care that I didn't have heat in FL, but now it's getting a little rediculous. Anyone know where I can get a decent heater core pump that will fit on our cars?

Kurt
 

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
1,944
54
79
Vernon BC
Dec 6, 2009
#2
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #2
revhead347 said:
I drove 130 miles today in sub freezing temperatures with ice on my windshield almost the entire way. I didn't really care that I didn't have heat in FL, but now it's getting a little rediculous. Anyone know where I can get a decent heater core pump that will fit on our cars?

Kurt
Click to expand...

Okay, I'll ask, what is a heater core pump?
 

desertcox05

New Member
Oct 3, 2007
379
0
0
south atlanta
Dec 6, 2009
#3
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #3
your regular WP is what circulates water through the heater core. your core may be clogged. try doing a flush on the core or the whole system.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Dec 6, 2009
#4
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #4
No, I have one of those Mr. Gasket big ass thermostats in there, and none of the water gets up to the heater core. Some stock high performance engines have similiar problems, so you'll find that some Mercedes and BMW have a little electric pump that helps circulate water up to the heater core. I'm trying to see if anyone has found one that fits nicely on a Mustang.

Kurt
 

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
3,263
0
66
st.louis mo 314
Dec 6, 2009
#5
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #5
A big stat causing no fluid to get to the core? What is a big stat? If its some kind of superflow at a low open temp you may be using a stat as a band aid for an otherwise not up to the task cooling system overall. You can have issues with say no stat, very low temp stat, or stat that is not working correctly keeping the temp too low and causing issues.

Sounds like your either low on coolant, a bum stat, or have air bubbles. There is no reason the WP would not flow coolant to the heater core as it is a direct cooling system pressure/displacement of fluid by the pump process. The electric pump your wanting will only do what the WP already does by design.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Dec 6, 2009
#6
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #6
I have a high flow water pump, and a huge aluminum radiator. The only way I was able to keep the car below 200 degrees in traffic in FL, was to put a Mr. Gasket hi flow thermostat in. Which immediately fixed the overheating problem, and simultaneously killed the heat in the car. I've even blocked the flow in the bypass hose. Nothing gets the water to flow up into the heater line, it all goes to the radiator. Putting a small electric pump in the heating system should fix that though.

Kurt
 

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
1,944
54
79
Vernon BC
Dec 6, 2009
#7
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #7
revhead347 said:
I have a high flow water pump, and a huge aluminum radiator. The only way I was able to keep the car below 200 degrees in traffic in FL, was to put a Mr. Gasket hi flow thermostat in. Which immediately fixed the overheating problem, and simultaneously killed the heat in the car. I've even blocked the flow in the bypass hose. Nothing gets the water to flow up into the heater line, it all goes to the radiator. Putting a small electric pump in the heating system should fix that though.

Kurt
Click to expand...

I also have the same set up as you but believe me, heat from the heater is not an issue. If you are not getting heat there may be an obstruction in the lines or the heater core. I'm also wondering if the heater and bypass hoses were reversed off of the water pump.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Dec 6, 2009
#8
  • Dec 6, 2009
  • #8
Ok, maybe I'll check for an obstruction if your setup is working fine. The hoses aren't mixed up. That bypass hose is so short, I can't imagine even being able to mix it up. It's just weird that I would get an obstruction simultaneously with the thermostat change. But if you have the same setup and no issues, it's worth looking into. What temp thermostat are you running?

Kurt
 

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
1,944
54
79
Vernon BC
Dec 7, 2009
#9
  • Dec 7, 2009
  • #9
revhead347 said:
Ok, maybe I'll check for an obstruction if your setup is working fine. The hoses aren't mixed up. That bypass hose is so short, I can't imagine even being able to mix it up. It's just weird that I would get an obstruction simultaneously with the thermostat change. But if you have the same setup and no issues, it's worth looking into. What temp thermostat are you running?

Kurt
Click to expand...

180* hi-flow.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Dec 8, 2009
#10
  • Dec 8, 2009
  • #10
Thanks.

Kurt
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Bleeding air in the heater core
  • keel
  • Apr 2, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
317
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 23, 2026
limp
M
Progress Thread mnky99 2001 V6 evap core, ac compressor, heater core replacement
  • mnky99
  • Sep 5, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
635
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 5, 2025
mnky99
M
M
2001 v6 heater return pipe leak question
  • mnky99
  • Nov 11, 2025
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
322
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Nov 11, 2025
mnky99
M
D
Engine Coolant and Radio Issues
  • Don7Up
  • Sep 14, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
721
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 4, 2025
Don7Up
D
B
'03 GT Fuel Pump/Pressure/Delivery Issue
  • Brodach
  • Oct 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
1K
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?