• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Heavy clutch- normal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter helpiamaparrot
  • Start date Start date Feb 10, 2023
H

helpiamaparrot

New Member
Jan 27, 2023
5
0
1
Dallas-Fort Worth
Feb 10, 2023
#1
  • Feb 10, 2023
  • #1
Hey all, I bought my 98 Gt 5 speed about 2 years ago. It's been a great runner and driver the whole time and has given me hardly any problems at all, apart from leaking/burning oil (but it has 210,000 miles, so probably to be expected). I traded my Chevy HHR straight for it and that was also a manual, and the difference in the clutch feel was night and day. When we were test driving each other's cars, after driving the mustang and going back to the HHR it felt like you would put your foot through the floor with how easy it was to depress in comparison. I also drive a 92 ranger and the clutch in that is similarly very light in comparison.

Like I said I've never had any problems with the car, and I know that both the other vehicles I mentioned have significantly smaller engines and are probably equipped with lighter duty clutches. Both the others I mentioned are also hydraulic vs the mustangs cable clutch. But even my mechanic who does my state inspections has commented that the Mustang clutch is quite heavy. I was just wondering if this is normal for SN95s, or if anyone else has noticed that these come with a pretty stiff clutch. The previous owner(s) may have also replaced some clutch components at some point, I just don't know.
 

Potomus Pete

I'm still waiting for the fully nude shots
5 Year Member
Mar 7, 2019
3,344
1,246
153
Sarasota Florida
Feb 12, 2023
#2
  • Feb 12, 2023
  • #2
Stiff is different for everybody. I needed a knee replacement after driving my 90 Fox for a couple of years.
 

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,026
1,658
163
nevada
Feb 12, 2023
#3
  • Feb 12, 2023
  • #3
I still have cable operated clutch and hear that the difference is night and day from hydraulic
 

Bree

Active Member
Jan 12, 2021
215
87
38
Zanesville Ohio
Feb 14, 2023
#4
  • Feb 14, 2023
  • #4
Could it be the difference between a cable clutch and a hydrophilic clutch?
Does the 'stang have a performance clutch? A high performance unit could be a little heavier than stock.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,336
18,062
224
Massachusetts
Feb 28, 2023
#5
  • Feb 28, 2023
  • #5
I've never driven a hydraulic clutch, but the stock clutch in my 2003 GT was like butter. Very soft.


Problem is when you are only used to hydraulic clutches, even that might seem stiff.
 
D

Deleted member 38176

Mar 4, 2023
#6
  • Mar 4, 2023
  • #6
Potomus Pete said:
Stiff is different for everybody. I needed a knee replacement after driving my 90 Fox for a couple of years.
Click to expand...

You're either old AF or had knee issues already.

Who TF needs a knee replacement from driving a manual for a "couple of years"
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
180
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
251
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Saturday at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
473
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
Engine Which fan clutch ?
  • AnthonyA1234
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
19
Views
448
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 19, 2026
Mustang5L5
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
83
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?