HEI Distributor or Pertrnix Electronic Ignition

I have a 68 Mustang that has had a 351c dropped in it. Runs great, but I am wanting to upgrade the ignition. I am wondering which is better, converting to a Pertronix ignitor and Flamethrower coil or install a HEI distributor?

• Sponsors (?)

Prob personal opinion on what you want it to look like. Some people dont really like the looks the HEI. Thats what I have on mine and I really like it. 1 wire hookup, no external coil or box. 55k volts. Works great.

I'm also deciding on getting pertronix or hei. Due to the size of the of the Hei I may not be able to use it since I have classic auto air a/c. I think the distributor may hit the brackets that hold the compressor. I may also have to get a different air cleaner to clear the distributor. I would be nice to see some pics of hei distributors in their cars.

Here is a pic of my HEI. I needed to use a 1" carb spacer to get my aircleaner to fit over it.
102_4464.jpg

Attachments

• 102_4464.jpg
    102_4464.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 9,412
it depends on what look you are after. if you want a stock look, then go with the pertronix ignitor. if you like the look of the gm style electronic ignition, the go with the DUI system. personally i prefer the duraspark dsitributor as it fits better than the DUI does, and hte distributor is generally readily available from your local parts store.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also deciding on getting pertronix or hei. Due to the size of the of the Hei I may not be able to use it since I have classic auto air a/c. I think the distributor may hit the brackets that hold the compressor. I may also have to get a different air cleaner to clear the distributor. I would be nice to see some pics of hei distributors in their cars.

My HEI clears the AC bracket and compressor on my 68 with a 289.

I know I'm going to make some of you mad, but I don't care.

Go ahead and put ugly ass GM looking crap on your Mustang, or keep it looking good while still working just as well.

I like Gikort's engine except the GM looking HEI.

I used Pertronix in the 302 in my Fairlane, and IMO, my distributor looks more like it belongs there, more like a Ford.

fairlaneengine.jpg

Attachments

• fairlaneengine.jpg
    fairlaneengine.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 868
I would ask you one question about your car in making your decision. Does your car have a Ford factory tac?? IF it does the HEI or aftermarked Mallory or MSD ignition set-ups will NOT work for the Tach. If you are Not using a Ford factory tac then I suggest a Mallory Unilite and HighFire box and there High Voltage coil. I have and am running both Mallory adn Pertronix systems on two cars now both work fine but the Mallory has Stronger Spark (it seems to me).

Hey it's your car, man. The Isuzu steering box is A LOT less noticeable than a huge GM HEI cap blocking your air filter. The HEI may be cheaper than a Mallory or Pertronix but if you want your other Ford buddies to heckle you after you lift your hood- go for it.