HELP, Car dying randomly

DRKSD

Nov 29, 1999
Iowa
I drive an 03 GT 5spd. I recently returned home from some military training (gone 5 months) and after about a week of driving my car, noticed an abnormal idle, and experienced what i can only describe as random dying out of the car when in neutral, either in the stopped position at a stopsign or stop light, or in de-acceleration when in neutral...

Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be going on? i had it looked at the other day and the mechanic said the computer codes showed nothing, they checked the plugs and injectors, found no problems, ran a cleanser through the fuel lines and said thats all tehy could do...

The car runs a helluva lot smoother with the clean fuel line, but still sputters and dies at random. sometimes its fine, but then every once and awhile it just craps out. It always starts right back up, and wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't do it while i was slowing down on the road with vehicles behind and around me. :nonono:

Any help????

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like you've got some crappy gas in the tank from sitting so long. I'd either drain the tank, or run some sort of stabilizer through and hope it helps.

02grey3.8 said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, any suggestions on fuel filters?
motorcraft

my guess would be the bad gas also

i had a bad tank of gas a long time ago. car would die randomly at idle, decel at highway speeds or pulling up to a stop.
instead of draining the tank i just ran the piss outta my car for a good 20 min on a deserted back road.

seemed to have worked fine

On the bad gas note, how much was in the tank? Obviously this would be the easiest to fix because you will need gas anyway.

For a fuel filter, I wouldnt necessarily look at that unless you have some decent mileage on the car. It COULD be clogged up with low miles, but not likely.

I'm with the others that have said the IAC. This isnt always the case, but it is common.