HELP car wont go into reverse!

Camshaft213

Dec 12, 2002
huntsville, AL
i have an 02 GT with a 5 spd. all of the sudden my car wont go into reverse, and 5th gear acts a little sticky. it will go into reverse, but when you try to move it just starts grinding and the speedo shoots up to like 30:confused: whats wrong and what do i need to do to fix it? 1-4 work fine.......

• Sponsors (?)

have you driven it down the road to see if it will go into fifth at speed ?? , what if you cut the engine off put it in reverse and then start it up ?? , try lifting up on the clutch pedal with your foot and the press it back down all the way to the floor to make sure the adjuster on the stock quadrant isnt out of adjustment . try that and get back to us

ok i am thinking now it might be a clutch problem. when sitting at a stop, in neutral, it will make a tapping noise like if you push the clutch in just a little bity and try to put it in gear. well when u push the clutch in, the sound goes away.

ever since ive owned the car, whenever i got to put it in reverse, sometimes i would have to let the clutch out a little bit just to get that shifter to move that last half inch or so to engage reverse. well now its basically like it just wont go that extra little bit.

ONE OTHER THING, right before this happened, a buddy that was folllowing behind me said my back up lights would come on when i shifted gears. wtf?

I have the same problem. From what I can gather the 5th-R shift fork is bent. For a while I could pull it in with both hands and hold it in.The reason they are raking and coming out of gear is they are just barely catching. But now when I try to put it in reverse, there is nothing there. I can pull it in the slot but its like its in neutral. And it will grind going into 5th sometimes as well. Also after its been in 5th it will go in 3rd or 4th but won't go in to 2nd until its been in 3rd or 4th for a few seconds. Also on the back up lights mine did the same thing. Then eventually they came on and stayed on and I had to pull the fuse to get them to go off.